Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can grab bar be added in shower

Posted by winesnob (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 18:22

I guess my first post on this subject sounds so pathetic. Every Monday I end up crying about something. Shower is done, except for hardware, can the grab bar be added with out tearing something out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can grab bar be added in shower

Have you asked your contractor if he can attach it to studs? (He should know the spacing of the studs) Or did he put reinforcement under the shower wall when you weren't looking? Your post doesn't say if he totally forgot the grab bar, so maybe you don't have to cry yet. Good luck!

o

Ooh, 6 months is an eternity. Breathe in, breathe out. You'll get your grab bar installed and this ordeal will be DONE.

o

It has to be installed into the studs and blocking between the studs. So, the stud location has to be known without a doubt before you start drilling. Most grab bars are bigger than 32", which is the dimension that will hit two studs, and their attachment screw positions are larger than just the thin edge of a stud. Even if you hit the stud with one of the screws, the other screws won't hit the studs. They need blocking, and to be installed at a bit of an angle. Open up the shower from the other side and install that blocking. Repairing drywall is a heck of a lot easier than repairing a just finished shower wall.

o

What do people think of the safety of those special fasteners that flare out behind the wall, supposedly allowing the bars to be installed in a safe and strong manner? But they do require a larger hole to be drilled and maybe their own grab bar product as well.

Maybe the blocks are behind the wall. I wish you luck on this issue. Hollysprings suggestion to go from the other side of the wall is a very good solution.

o

A grab bar can be easily added afterwards.

If you know the location of the studs or blocking, drill your holes through the grout/tile, load the holes with sealant, then install the grab bars. Clean up any caulk squeeze out.

The only hollow wall anchors that I've relied on for the past several years are WingIt anchors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here