Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grout lines?

Posted by Gingersnaps17 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 18:14

Hi, I just redid my bathroom. Floor tiles (non-rectified porcelain) are 16" x 16", set in a diamond pattern. Small area. I'm guessing 3' x 5'? Floor guy didn't ask about the grout width beforehand. He did it 6/16" (!). This is the hugest grout line I've ever seen. I don't even see them that big in public spaces, indoors or out!

I asked him to redo at 1/8" or 3/16" at most (at my cost). He said I'd be making a mistake, as I live in an old building with old subfloors and such a "small" grout line would crack out over time.

He used sanded grout.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

This post was edited by Gingersnaps17 on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 20:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grout lines?

3/8" (or 6/16") is really huge. I don't understand why smaller grout lines would crack more easily than wider ones. Presumably your old subfloor was suitable for a tile floor or he wouldn't have put one down, right?

o

Your post made me go measure the grout lines in my bathrooms. Geeze, I have to get a life! But surprise, surprise both of my bathrooms have 3/8 " grout lines. My MB tiles are 18 x18. I really don't think the grout lines look bad.
 photo 0dbeb310aed9e2a39e9196414af0bc92_zps53a76a13.jpg

Post a picture of yours for comparison. Maybe mine do look bad but I certainly would never have them ripped out for 2/8 of an inch. Honestly, no one will ever look at your tile and say the grout lines are too big

o

I just measured my new floor and the grout lines are 1/8". In my other bathroom, done in 2005, they are 1/4" and seem huge in comparison. Both are 12x12 tiles. I think 3/8" would seem gigantic.

Badgergal, your grout lines don't look that big. I think the blendy color helps.

o

Hi, here 'tis. My tiles are similar to Badgergal's, but my grout looks bigger than hers. Maybe because I took a photo closer to the ground? For reference, the wall grout lines are 1/8".

o

I honestly think it looks fine (and I'm one who specified the grout line width for my backsplash). Will you be putting a mat or two on the floor? If so, you won't see as many of the lines.

o

Thanks! It's a tiny floor space as is. There'll be mat outside the tub/shower (when I need it). That's it. The wide grout lines would bother me less if there were more floor space.

o

If the floor space were larger, it might have bothered me less.

This post was edited by Gingersnaps17 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 11:21

o

Personally I think it looks fine and would look funny if it were 1/8" in width. Just my opinion though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here