Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Layout help for 9'3' x 8'6' bathroom

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

Hi, I need some help with laying out my girls' bathroom for an upcoming remodel. The room measures 9'3" x 8'6". There is a door to the hallway and another door into a bedroom, plus a laundry chute in one corner.

I would love to fit in a tub, separate shower, double vanity, and potty. It is easy to fit the vanity, potty and shower, or the vanity, potty and tub. The sep tub and shower is harder. It is a big bathroom so I keep thinking it *must* be possible.

Here is the layout. Sorry it is not easy to read. Basically it only serves to show where the doorways are and that the corner between them is reserved for the laundry chute. In the rest of the space, anything goes. The toilet is currently in the corner to the left of the window but it can be relocated as the room below this is being remodeled as well.

{{gwi:1464267}}

I would love any help laying out or any floorplan examples.

thanks, Anita

Comments (17)

• houseful
    15 years ago

After playing around with this for awhile, I just don't see how you are going to get everything you want. Is there any place from which you can borrow space? Can you eliminate the door to the bedroom and enter the bedroom from the hallway?

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We could eliminate the door, and in fact at one point I pushed my daughter's bed up against the wall to pretend the door was gone and we didn't like it. I'd rather do without the tub or do a combined shower / tub. (leaning towards doing without the tub).

Thanks for looking at it,

Anita

• houseful
    15 years ago

Well, if you eliminate the tub, then there is room for a nice walk-in shower. No glass too clean!! Do you have a tub elsewhere in the house? What minimum sizes would you like for the vanity and shower? Also, would they like a little area by the vanity to sit down?

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We do have a tub in the master which is enough for us. Our youngest is 4 and no one bathes; everyone uses the shower. We aren't worried about resale as we plan to die here :)

I am thinking of having a 5' vanity on the wall between the bedroom door and the window wall (just fits).

On the other wall I'd originally planned a 3x3 shower, the potty (at 32" wide) and then I have another 3 feet or so where I could put a closet, linen closet, or makeup station.

However, you make a good point -- maybe I should do a 3x5 walk in shower and the potty along that wall. No glass doors, just more of my beautiful tile...hmmm. What do you think???

Anita
    thanks for your input!

Anita

• houseful
    15 years ago

In know what you mean about baths. In fourteen years and six kids, the bathtub has only been used about 10 times, LOL!

I wouldn't want to have to clean the glass especially in a kid's bathroom. I think it will look really bad really fast. I'm all for more beautiful tile!!

I can do a few different mockups for you. How big is the window and is it exactly centered in the room?

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nuts, I posted my measurements earlier but must not have pushed the submit button! here goes again.

The window is 38" off the left wall, 53 1/2" off the right wall, and 21" wide. It is placed roughly 46" off the floor.

Thanks for any help!

Anita

• houseful
    15 years ago

Here are some initial ideas. I tried to keep the toilet private as much as possible. The problem with a large shower is finding space for linens.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Houseful, thanks - these are fantastic. Which do you prefer?

I love the 2nd and 3rd options. It comes down to a choice between the most private potty setup and that amazing shower. That is huge!!!

When you say the large shower makes it hard to have a space for linens, do you mean dry linen storage or hooks / bars for the currently in use towels? Because I have a cabinet / laundry chute in the corner between the two doors so there is plenty of space for dry towels etc.

Anita

• houseful
    15 years ago

I was talking about dry towels. I didn't realize the laundry shoot also had room for those.

That large shower is tempting, but the more I think about it, the girls are going to need more vanity space. I drew up another plan with a 3 x 4.5 shower and an L shaped large vanity. I'll post it for you tomorrow as the family does need dinner at some point, LOL! BTW, any chance you can move the window?

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The window needs to stay. We're restricted on the exterior because a roof comes up in that area so we already had to move it to this location.

I'll be interested to see the large vanity. That is my #1 priority in this bathroom. When I was in high school my 4 sisters and I all shared one bath (the boys had all moved out by then) and what I wouldn't have given for a decent vanity. (And good water pressure!)

Thanks Anita

• houseful
    15 years ago

Here is the idea. What I am not sure about is the clearances for two people at two sinks. The longer sink has 42", but the other one only has two feet not counter the seated area. There will be blind cabinet space in the corner, but there may be room for a corner cabinet coming down onto the vanity and then a cabinet over the toilet.

Also, if you have the tradition style window with trim molding, it will cut a few inches off your shower. But if you can just do a drywall window surround (which is common here in AZ), that will help. The shower is still almost 5 feet long, but just shy of 3 feet wide.

Then there is the toilet privacy issue. However, three of my kids share a bathroom with an open toilet, and since we have two other toilets in the house, it hasn't been an issue at all.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Houseful. Can you do one more version for me?

Basically it is option 3 above with the shower and potty reversed. I think if I do that one I can have the wraparound vanity and it will butt up against the large shower...best of all worlds. What do you think?

Anita

• houseful
    15 years ago

Sure. I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but are either of these close? You'll see the second pic has the shower entry in two possible locations.

• houseful
    15 years ago

Here are a few more:

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Houseful, I'm overwhelmed! You're so nice to help me with this!

What program are you using to generate these, BTW?

I talked to my contractor last night and he says that if I put the shower in the front corner (behind the hall door) that I will be able to have a curbless shower. (That area is currently a closet and is a few inches lower than the rest of the bathroom because it doesn't have the big mud bed like the tile bathroom has. )

At first I was loving the first of the two most recent options but then I realized that if someone is standing at the sink closest to the potty it interferes with getting to / using the potty.

I am leaning towards having the vanity straight along the left wall, the potty in the back corner on the right, and a big shower behind the door.

I liked the size and shape of the 3rd option at the very top, so I tried putting that behind the door and it seems to work nicely. I think it gives me about 3' clearance between the closest point between the vanity and the shower. Is that good?

Thanks again for everything!

Anita

• houseful
    15 years ago

This is so fun for me! It is also a nice break from designing my kitchen remodel which is driving me crazy.

Anyway, how is this? I made more like 39" between the vanity and shower wall. The shower is still plenty wide. There is 3' for the toilet and the shower is almost 5' from showerhead to wall.

• Linda Buchanan
    7 years ago

What design did you end up with? I am trying to redesign my bathroom. I need help.