Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning around a freestanding tub

Posted by scpalmetto (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 17:28

What happens when you try and mop the floor around a free standing tub that is against a wall (or two)? I have my heart set on a freestanding tub but am starting to realize there will be dust and dog hair, etc. that will build up behind it.

Surely others have addressed this issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning around a freestanding tub

Residential code requires a space of at least 4" between the edge of a pedestal sink or wall hung sink and the adjoining wall for access of cleaning (and retrieval of things)

I think it would make sense to allow at the same minimum around the rim of a free standing tub for the same purpose. More would probably be better.

The thing that I remember about my grandmother's 1911 bathtub was that it was not all that easy to keep the surrounding area clean. You had to get down on the floor to clean under it. It was a clawfoot with freestanding supply and drain. If you used a pedestal that sat on the floor you wouldn't have to worry about underneath.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here