Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljalter

Tiling the full wall height with high ceilings? Bad idea?

ljalter
14 years ago

Hi all -

Looking for opinions...

I really like the look of fully tiled walls - I think it can look very modern. However, our bathroom has weird ceilings and I wonder if it would look right.

The ceiling goes from 8 feet on one side of the bathroom (the side you enter on) and goes up to 11 or 12 feet on the opposite wall. Very angular.

Aside from that detail, it's a fairly simple 8x11 rectangular space. The tub, shower, and toilet are inline on one wall and the vanity and door to the walk-in closet are on the other wall.

We are doing 10x20 rectified porcelain that looks like a creamy travertine (not a ton of color variation from tile to tile).

It probably would look similar in tone to this (though with more stone look):

{{gwi:1463868}}

But I like this staggered pattern:

{{gwi:1463869}}

The only difference is I was thinking of having tiles put vertically up the walls (like the first picture). So if you are standing in the doorway, looking into the bathroom, the tiles would be going the long way straight from your toes up the far wall in a continuous line. (Kind of like how you law wood floor boards horizontally along the long wall of the room.)

I hope that makes sense. I have been trying to find a picture, but it's basically a combo of the pictures above. In a modern bath with a contemporary wall-hung vanity and fixtures, could this look good?

Still struggling with little details when I need to be moving forward,

Laura

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH