Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splats

Difference between cheap and expensive toilets?

splats
9 years ago

Can anyone tell me the main differences between a $150 toilet and a $350 toilet. In looking at them, they seem pretty much the same. What does the extra money get you? thanks.

Comments (12)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

What model and manufacturer?

• splats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wondering in a general sense. Put cheap toilet in 3, 4 years ago; they seem fine. Got new home and am wondering what you get for extra cost?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Style and long term reliability. If you are happy with the cheaper ones then don't spend the bucks on something else. Easily replaced should you change your mind down the road.

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

Comfort height vs standard height, and elongated vs round are two of the differences. Cheaper toilets tend to be round, and the traditional lower height, with a ess than stellar quality glazing, and less than stellar quality engineering for the flush system.

More expensive toilets tend to be tbe taller height, elongated bowls for a more comfortable sitting experience, with better glazing and a once and done flush system.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

In my opinion, in some cases you are paying more to cover the extensive advertising for the brand. In others you are paying more for the style and look of the fixtures and matching other fixtures in the bathroom. In still other cases you are paying for engineering to design the complicated mechanism that provides a powerful flush. And in some cases you are paying for the quality control which some cheaper manufacturers seem to offload onto the consumers.

As with many things, paying more doesn't guarantee a better functioning product. There are some cheaper models that work well, and some that provide endless problems. But the same can be said for more expensive models. There are sites that review the functioning of specific brands and models, which are useful in guiding your decisions.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

One piece vs. 2 piece toilets also have a substantial price difference. Colors other than white are more expensive usually. Pressure assisted toilets that have mechanical guts are usually more expensive. My plumbing supplier told me that he likes a plain Gerber toilet for functionality and its reasonable price. I saw a toilet I liked at Ferguson's but I didn't like it $1400 worth. We will end up with two one piece Champions by AS, and two right-height pressure assisted toilets in the new house. They merit a lot of research-

• loves2read
    9 years ago

Also would say that buying from HD or Lowes is not good idea
    replaced 3 toilets in house remodeled couple of years ago--
    tried to use one from HD initially and has to take it back twice (two piece unit) because the top would not fit correctly on the base...
    went to plumbing supply house to get item for shower valve and talked to guy at counter who said that HD and Lowes often get a version of "seconds"--
    real plumbers won't put up with taking stuff back twice trying to get right fit...

so ordered my toilets from him--same two piece toilets I tried to buy w/HD--
    no issues -- all parts worked fine--one was taller model--
    price was almost the same and got free delivery because I bought 3--

• freedee
    9 years ago

One difference that is important here at the jersey shore is if the tank is lined or not. My designer specified a very cheap, good looking toilet and I did a search on that style. It turns out that if the tank is not lined, you get condensation around the cold water of the tank. That can result in a constant drip. Yuk.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Check out the Gerber "Avalanche."

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

"Some of the toilets in my house are cheaper than others. The more expensive ones have a better glaze inside. The cheaper ones don't stay clean looking beyond the first flush. The cheaper ones require a couple of flushes to get everything down.

The lid also doesn't fit on the cheaper ones very well. If you lean back while seated, you can dislodge the lid."

This does not agree with my experience what so ever. The main driver of price for a basic toilet seems to be brand name... for example Kohler. I have had lots of bad experiences with Kohler Toilets after having paid a premium.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

One piece vs. 2 piece toilets also have a substantial price difference. Colors other than white are more expensive usually. Pressure assisted toilets that have mechanical guts are usually more expensive. My plumbing supplier told me that he likes a plain Gerber toilet for functionality and its reasonable price. I saw a toilet I liked at Ferguson's but I didn't like it $1400 worth. We will end up with two one piece Champions by AS, and two right-height pressure assisted toilets in the new house. They merit a lot of research-

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!