Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunzi_gw

Yay! We're finished with the Imperfect Interim Teeney Powder Room

hunzi
10 years ago

Yay! It's done. Well sort of. You know, there's the door project, oh and we plan to remove the Mr G's 1950s Bathroom From Hell that's acting as the anteroom.... did you really think we were DONE? Not at the Shrine to Our Lady of Perpetual Renovation! There's always more to be done!

But still, we're sorta done! So let's celebrate with before & afters!

The details:
Powder Room - inserted into a small closet.

Sink - moved from 1920s 2nd floor bath, some parts restored
Faucets - Elizabeth Classics from efaucets
Mirror - Lowes
Frames - hobby lobby & target
Makeup mirror - Seattle Luxe
bidet seat Brondell Swash 1000 Bidet - Costco
Paint - Benjamin Moore Hale Navy & Ellen Kennon Snow
Overhead Light - shade rescued from basement ledge - new basic fixture from Home Depot + few antique bits
Sconces - Home Depot
Flooring - Antique Select Heart Pine - Goodwin Heart Pine
Toilet - moved from previous location
Wainscott - Hubbie made it - Home Depot wood

The tale of this adventure is on my other thread interwined with the other bathroom under construction which is starting from dirt! More photos - before & progress pictures at the link.

I'm happy with it!
Yay!
Hunzi

Here is a link that might be useful: The Imperfect Interim Pantry Powder Room!

Comments (7)

• sloyder
    10 years ago

looks good.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Nice!

• kendrahrose
    10 years ago

This looks insanely wonderful and perfect to me. I am so impressed. I am in the middle of doing a similarly small powder room. I'm curious - were the wood floors there or did you choose to install them? And if you did decide to install them, can you share your thought process about wood floors over tile in the powder room. Ours is currently a wood subfloor, I was going to put tile down - inexpensive one inch hex in white. Our home is old, 1853, and I want a simple, classic look, but the most inexpensive and easy to maintain and install too. Please school me on your choices.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Hi Kendrahrose,
    We put in American Cherry in our downstairs powder/laundry room. I love it and have had no problems with it. We live in northern Massachusetts and considered tile but it's so cold in the winter. The warm tones of the wood work well with our beadboard wainscoting and pedestal sink. The walls are a pale green with a grey undertone. It's my favorite room in the house.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kendrahrose,

Thank you for the kind words! (And everyone else too!)

I chose the Antique Heart Pine and we installed it (insane to do in such a tiny space! You can't use a floor nailer!) My thought process is, this bathroom will eventually be adjacent to a kitchen with exactly the same flooring - so it will look like it just ran in there too. I really debated doing 1 inch hex, but it's such a small space, and it's really hard to work in, so tile would have been challenging since it would have been our first tile project. Our house is built in 1884, so simple and classic were top priorities.

There are before/progress photos on my other thread that started out as the thread for my basement bathroom project then got hijacked by the powder room as it was supposed to be a quicker finish! (We had some major distractions, so it took about 5 months vs the expected 6-8 weeks).

So back to the flooring - it's River Recovered Select Antique Heart Pine, and it's finished with about 6 coats of Waterlox Original Finish with no stain. And eventually, my basement stair landings, and kitchen will have the same wood. This tiny project was the "let's see how much we really like it!" and I love it. I did learn I'll spend the extra $ when we do the kitchen for Clear Select, as the knots bugged me, but we had plenty of wood to cut around the ones that irritated me.

I wish I could get a better photo of the room, it really did turn out great. And the running joke around here is I did probably spend a third of the budget on the art work and frames. But honestly, that's what makes the room.

You all will just have to come and stand in it (one at a time of course!) to admire it properly! ;-)

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

Photo - behold - Mr G's 1950's bathroom from hell - but without the bathtub and the KNEE WALL conveniently located so close to the door/toilet/sink (see the flooring for it's location) What fun it was!

The new powder room is in the closet you see in the back right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll Down for Before/Progress photos

• kendrahrose
    10 years ago

I hate to highjack your post, but I would love your (and everybody else's opinion)!

We too are using reclaimed heart pine in our kitchen. I got to pick it out myself from a Mennonite woodworker outside of Philadelphia where I live. It is beautiful wood and we hope it will match well in the kitchen with the heart pine in our dining room and the rest of our house that original 1853 flooring.

As you can see from this picture, the bathroom is a slender rectangle that is framed in here between the kitchen - the room closest to the camera, and the dining room, which is the room on the other side of the plaster scratch coated wall. (We are going to put shelves in the old fireplace recess and have that be bathroom storage.)

You talked about tile being hard to install in a small space. In our construction process, would the tile go down before the toilet is in and the wall mount sink hung? If so, does that make tiling any easier? I have another post, but have not yet received replies, about how hard it would be to tile this bath with 1" hex. Our contractor said it could be a whole 8 hour day or day and a half. That seemed so long to me for such a tiny space and of course time is money!

Our floor planks run north/south (from top to bottom of this picture instead of side to side). So I think it could look odd to have all those tiny chopped up pieces of wood in this small bathroom. Do you agree? I thought that by having tile in the bathroom, and not having the flooring a continuation, that it would bring more of a mental separation to the bathroom and would make it feel less integrated to eating areas. But who knows if my dime store psychology applies or not? Agan, I would love feedback from anyone on the cost, ease, and look of tile vs wood for this small space.

Thanks for your inspiring pictures!

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think what you're doing is just fine! You can totally have tile! And yes, changing surfaces does separate the spaces. I seriously considered tile - and since it was a small space, I thought it was the perfect spot for something luxe - like a basketweave marble.

We suspect that we will have to do some demo in the bathroom when we update the kitchen (I need to install a beam that will reach the far side of the bathroom and move the powder room door, which is why I call it the Interim Powder Room!) We think we can protect and save a wood floor (maybe just pulling one board), but a tile floor would have a higher probability of needing a remove and re-do. And we do not want a re-do!

The other reason we didn't want tile, is we DIY, and we haven't done any tile floors before, and it's such a tight space to work in, I could just hear my DH's future cursing (Bumpuses'!!!) I'm sure a good tile guy could do it! Yeah, it's not a lot of room to maneuver, but I would definitely do it before the toilet & sink went in, so that gives you a little more space.

You're on the right track!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County