Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestions for where to get a custom vanity top?

Posted by mamattorney (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 17:10

I posted a couple of weeks ago about how I want to (mostly) DIY spruce up of my bathroom.

I went to HD today to price out a new vanity top with undermount sink. So the woman punches in some numbers: quartz and granite = @$900. Solid surface (Samsung or Corian) = @$330. Solid surface it is . . . you would think. Then she tells me. Oh sorry - our custom tops have a minimum of $500, we can't do this for you.

What a bummer.

Anyone have any ideas of where I can go to get this fabricated? If HD won't do it, wouldn't a smaller operation DEFINITELY turn me down as too labor intensive for the money?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestions for where to get a custom vanity top?

If you have a granite fabricator in the area, they generally have remnants from large jobs which they sell for projects like yours. I've replaced two single vanities and a double this way. Singles <$350 and double about $550. I furnished the basin which they mount and they drill necessary holes for the faucet(s) - they don't install faucets or connect plumbing. My guy comes and measures prior to fabrication, then delivers and installs the stone. Above pricing includes necessary backsplash, choice of edge treatment and a custom fit.

Good luck.

o

You need to find yourself a nice prefabricated granite shop. They import the counters already cut with an edge and back splashes polished. All they do is cut off a piece for you in the length you require, put in the undermount cut out, attach the sink and polish up the edges. It is a very affordable way to get granite for a vanity. They just charge you for the amount you use. Do a search for prefabricated granite in your city.

The ones around here have tons of colors to choose from so you have lots of design options. Often they will also have discount sinks but if not they can use a sink you buy to cut the under mount opening. My prefab shop charges just $50 per sink for white or bisque oval or white rectangular. But I wanted bisque rectangular so had to find them myself. I just bought my sinks at Mr Direct for $70 each including shipping. http://www.mrdirectint.com/ to look at them. I bought the sinks through e-bay which had slightly lower shipping so saved about $10 over buying from them directly.

I got my faucets at Express Decor. Home Depot and Lowes had nothing interesting. I got this one for $150 each. http://www.expressdecor.com/kraus-mil-1202-millennium-single-lever-basin-faucet.html for my master bath. I see they are running a 10% off coupon on it today. Even though I ordered it yesterday I saw in my e-mail they credited 10% back on my card today. :-)

When we do our guest bath I'm getting this one.
http://www.expressdecor.com/kraus-kef-14801-pu11ch-fantasia-single-lever-basin-faucet-and-pop-up-drain-with-overflow-chrome.html

And probably this one for our upstairs bath.
http://www.expressdecor.com/kraus-kef-14301-pu11ch-unicus-single-lever-basin-faucet-and-pop-up-drain-with-overflow-chrome.html

In my case I'm getting my counter tops from a prefab shop but having it cut from a prefab island. I am getting a specialty edge that is known as a broken edge but still saving about a thousand off what it would be to buy an inexpensive slab and have my counters cut out of it.

o

Last month I walked into my local granite countertop fabricator, carrying the square sink I had purchased online. They had dozens of remnants of granite and quartz to choose from. They took me back to the warehouse and let me look through them and choose. I chose granite, for $182 I got a 36" top, polished edges of my choice on three sides, with my sink undermounted and the granite drilled for my faucet and a 4" backsplash.

If you get flyers in the mail that list different businesses, look in those. The countertop shops often run specials to get rid of their extra pieces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here