Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosiegolden

Bathroom Lighting and Tile Questions

rosiegolden
9 years ago

Our to-be-remodeled bathroom is 4' wide by 10' long. There is a tub alcove on the right at the back of the room (see photo).

Aesthetically speaking, the plan is:

*Classic white subway tile in shower and on the walls, with black pencil trim.
*Black and white flooring - either basketweave or hexagons
*White cast-iron tub
*IKEA Godmorgon vanity in black/brown with white ceramic sink top
*Remove that enormous closet on the left and replace with the IKEA Godmorgon high cabinet, in black-brown.

The overall goal is a very classic black/white look with a little bit of modern tone as well.

I plan to have a can light installed in the tub/shower, an important source of light since we will keep a shower curtain (and not use shower doors). In addition, I plan to have a schoolhouse light installed over the recessed mirrored cabinet over the vanity.

My questions are:

RE Lighting:
*The vanity will be 39" wide. Should I make the size of the mirrored cabinet small enough to allow for sconces on either side of it, rather than over the mirror? I know that sconces are better than an over-the-mirror light source for putting on makeup, etc., but allowing that much room might mean the mirror has to be very small.

*Do I need an overhead light as well, given how small the room is? The can light won't be useful in the room (as opposed to in the tub/shower) when the shower curtain is closed. If I do have an overhead light installed, what kind of fixture is usual? Flush, semi-flush?

RE Tile:
*I am unsure about whether to have tile baseboard installed, or simply some cove trim (with a little slope to where it meets the floor). I like baseboard, but don't want curvy/elaborate details at odds with the smallish room in a modest-type house. What have others done?
*Similar question about trim at the top of the 40" high wall tile: How is it usually finished off in a small/modest bathroom like this one?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comments (4)