Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frameless and silicone

Posted by jdougjo (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 16:29

I'm in the process of getting glass quotes for steam shower.

It's 48" neo angled and of course glass can be attached to ceiling as well as floor.

It's the same old question. Clamps or U-Channel? I like the looks of clamps, but one shop I talked to said I would have to have silicone bead all along the edges which I would hate. My curbs are sloped. I want this as maintenance free as possible.

I think I've seen plenty of steam shower pics that appear to be clamps with just a small gap at the edges. Do they all leak?

Anybody care to share their experience?

Thanks,
Doug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frameless and silicone

Yep, metal or silicone. You need one or the other, of course someone that is a good caulker will be able to give you a really small bead tooled well that will barely be visible.

o
RE: Frameless and silicone

One glass shop pointed out to me that they no longer use channels. The reason being, that IF there ever was a leak, there would be a lot of damage under that channel that you wouldn't see until it rotted out and the glass fell. He has seen that happen and won't install the channels. FYI

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here