Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rashomon_gw

Are flush doors more soundproof than paneled doors?

rashomon
9 years ago

I am renovating my bathroom which is right off of our living room. It has a paneled door which doesn't offer much privacy. You can hear sounds easily through the door.

Since flush doors are consistently thicker (they don't have thin panels) would that make them better at reducing sound transmission? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If they are solid core, or especially the solid core with the acoustic material in the middle, yes,. But it also makes sense to put sound deadening insulation in the walls.

• rashomon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Solid core door, copy that. I'm in a tiny apt in NYC so not much room to add to wall depth, the walls are already pretty solid old material (1940's).

What I'm actually thinking about doing is using a solid core door and then adding my own molding to it to create a panel looking door. The frame is pretty thick and I know I'll need to account for room to open door. That should make an extra thick door for me.

• vvesper
    9 years ago

You might also consider an exhaust fan that comes on automatically with the light. You'll hear the fan, perhaps, but better than hearing other sounds, right?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

The extra insulation goes IN the wall in the hollow space between the studs to help muffle the sound. You wouldn't be adding any thickness, just filling in that hollow space...same deal with a solid core door. The door itself isn't any thicker. Many inside walls are not insulated. But to do that you'd need to remove one side of the wallboard, which gets involved.

-Babka

• vvesper
    9 years ago

Come to think of it - if you are in a 1940's building, your walls could be lath and plaster, rather than wallboard nailed to studs. In which case, the whole insulation thing wouldn't work. I don't think there's a cavity to even put it in, and I doubt it would help vs a solid wall. Do you know if the walls are plaster or drywall?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Actually on a true paneled door the panels are relatively thin, the door styles and rails are 1-3/8 but the panels are as thin as 3/8 for a recessed panel door and about 3/4 for a raised panel door, with 3/8" around the border of the panel.

A molded door with a panel design may have "raised panels" that are about as thick as the perimeter of the door.

• rashomon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all these responses!

I was considering installing a fan in our exhaust (with permission from our coop) as, yes, it would certainly help our situation.

And yes, I believe our old construction has plaster walls (which are already quite heavy and dense) so I don't believe I can add insulation.

But what I many by creating a paneled door is I would add my own molding I too of a solid blank, therefore creating what looks like a paneled door except really thick. I believe it would look fine within the thick door frame,

Does that make sense?--I wasn't sure you knew what I meant.

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

You can buy a solid core door in any style of door. There is no need for you to add molding to fake a paneled door. Just buy one already having the sound-deadening material inside. S