Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

best bathroom vent fans?

purrus
14 years ago

Hi all,

We are buying a house built in 1965 that has 2.5 baths, none of which include a vent fan. What's the best model for us to buy, based on your experiences? Budget is a concern, but we don't want to buy junk. Also the vent fan does not need to have a light attached.

Thanks!!

Comments (14)

• roobear
    14 years ago

Purrus, we're still in the middle of remodeling one of our baths in our 1966 home and decided to install a Nutone recessed light and fan. We didn't have a vent previously at all, the cost was around 90.00.

It works great in a smaller bath, is quiet, not hard to install (with all the venting etc. through the attic/ roof took about 2 or 3 hours DIY), and my favorite part it doesn't look like a bathroom fan. Our ceilings are only 8ft, so we didn't want a bulky fan and light hanging down. We added a couple of regular recessed lights as well and you can't even tell a difference.

• tzmaryg
    14 years ago

Roobear, what model Nutone did you get? I need a replacement and my criteria seem to be like yours. Thanks.

• roobear
    14 years ago

I think it was model 744NT, they sell them at Lowes/Home Depot.

• sevenecho
    14 years ago

The Panasonic fans are nice and quiet. You can research and purchase them here...

http://www.rewci.com/panvenfan.html

I got one from them and the service was good and shipping fast.

• tzmaryg
    14 years ago

Thanks Roobear, the 744NT looks great.

• iapq1990
    14 years ago

I love our Panasonic. It's so quiet that when our electrician first turned it on after installing it he thought it was broken. It does a good job too. I've purchased a second one to go in a new bathroom.

• junicb
    14 years ago

We also love our Panasonic FV-08VQ3. It is super quiet. The only hard part about installation was going through the 3 layers of brick (and then re-laying the brick that we accidentally knocked out...).

We bought it online through FaucetDepot.com - I think it was about $90 (I used a coupon I found online and it qualified for free shipping).

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic FV-08VQ3

• kevin1727
    14 years ago

I bought 4 Panasonics. Love them. Quiet (if you get the ones rated for lowest sones) and they move a lot of air.
    Best price and service I found was at wamhomecenter.

• jakkom
    14 years ago

We started with Nutones in our 1989/90 whole house remodel. I would hope they have improved their quality as both fans got progressively noisier over the years, to the point where the larger fan in the master bathroom could be heard on the ground floor.

In 2003 we dumped both Nutones for the Panasonics. So far so good, no increase in noise. Contractor who did the install was impressed with the build quality on both (one was the 70 cfm size, the other is the big WhisperWarm).

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

I bought an inexpensive Nutone basically for the very low-profile _metal_ grille. I hate yuckky plastic grills that stick down 1/2 inch or more, and eventually yellow.
    Casey

• kimkitchy
    14 years ago

I have a different perspective. In our 96 year old house the bathroom downstairs is immediately off the kitchen; upstairs it is just off a sitting room. I WANT some fan noise, if you know what I mean (LOL)! I think ours are Broan and they do make noise - and they do the job too. :-) -Kim

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Depite whatever sone ratings that manufacturers claim, the quiestest I've come across are the Panasonic Whisper series and Fantech's fans.

I did the same as kimkitchy, I installed a noisy one in our downstairs half-bath for the same reasons. Sounds like a jet taking off when you're in there, but hey, it is what it is.

john604, spam, spam, spam.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Based on my experience with the links that John604 referenced, I wouldn't buy from any of them.

• just_julie
    14 years ago

way to mess up the board, dude!