Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
na_praha

95% complete DIY modern vintage bathroom

na_praha
15 years ago

I have been a fanatical lurker and only very occasional poster on this board while we've been conceiving and working on a new master bath for the recently expanded second floor of our 1915 Craftsman house. This was 100% DIY, mostly by my husband who learned plumbing and electrical skills on the job. We were on an incredibly strict budget (under $5K for everything, including infrastructure), so probably more than we'd like of the details came from big box stores. The bulk of the finish work was completed between the second week of June and this past weekend. We owe a huge debt to Bill V and Mongo, as well as Mrs. Limestone, Sombreui Sombreuil Mongrel, and others who did such an exceptional job with their vintage baths.

We still have to add door trim, install our stained glass transoms, install our towel bars and a marble bath shelf, and most significantly, add the shower riser and ring to the clawfoot, but it's useable and looking good, so I can't wait to post the results.

Here's a sneak preview. For more, go our Flickr site

Details:

Vanities - Pegasus

Medicine Cabinets - Lowe's

Sconces - Commercial Electric via Home Depot

Faucets - Price Pfister Ashfield via Ebay

Toilet - Kohler Cimarron high efficiency with Pegasus seat

Tub - salvage via Craigslist. I spray-painted the feet espresso

Tub filler and shower - EBay

Floor - Goia marble tile ($2.49 SF from HD)

Wall paint - Dutch Boy Hyrdrangea Bloom

Trim - Behr Creamy White

Linen cabinets and marble accessories - Target

The curtain is a temporary fix, we've ordered top-down, bottom-up cellular shades in a linen color for the window.

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos on Flickr.

Comments (28)

• User
    15 years ago

Wow, great job!

I am doing a similar look in my hall bath soon so I might be copying some of your ideas too!

I only wish I could do a clawfoot tub. I am stuck with a 3 wall alcove unfortunately:(

• na_praha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I bought the tub over a year ago and pretty much designed the bath around it. It had been sitting in our basement for so long that I had no memory of how yellow it is compared to the bright white of our new vanities and toilet. Yikes. The contrast is a little rough, but I'm hoping a pure white shower curtain will tie it all together!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

I admire your careful budgeting. You are really sly foxes! I thought you had a Toto "Lloyd" toilet there, with the black seat! And I thought, how in blazes did they fit THAT into a $5K budget. Then I read how. Clever!
    Casey

• erin2553
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe it is a DIY! So lovely and serene. Great work~

• gramzy
    15 years ago

Your bathroom is beautiful! What are the ceiling pieces made of?

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!

And I am completely envious over how quickly and economically you created this look -- I know you all were tireless in many ways!

I think the stained glass transom-to-be might kill me off if my own dragging-along reno doesn't...but please post an update when you get that done as I'd love to see it.

ps I recognize your "mood/inspiration shot" as I've admired the work that firm does!

• na_praha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Casey, our budget was so tight that I didn't even look at Toto as an option; any similarity is purely - but happily - accidental!

Gramzy, the ceiling is just standard sheetrock, painted with a satin-finish latex paint. We used greenboard around the bathtub, but that was it. Hopefully not a huge deal.

• gramzy
    15 years ago

I just saw your upstairs bath. That is beautiful as well. Can you tell my what kind of vanities and what kind of tile in your shower? Thank you.

• na_praha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think you're looking at Mrs. Limestone's absolutely gorgeous master bath, which was one of my inspiration shots. I wish I could claim it was mine! I'm linking to her description of it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs. Limestone's glamour vintage bathroom

• gramzy
    15 years ago

Hopefully this is my last question, but it least it keeps your beatiful bathroom at the top of the message board so everyone can see what a great job you did.

What kind of tile did you use on the floor?

• na_praha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The floor is 12x12 Goia marble - a bit grayer than Carrara. It used to be widely available at Home Depot for $5/SF, but in our area at least (Oregon) they've discontinued and replaced it with something I think is closer to Calacutta, with gold veins rather than grey. Still quite pretty and cost-effective.

• digitoko
    15 years ago

Hi, It is really cool. I love your thinking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool Baths

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

That is the best big-box bathroom I've ever seen. Actually, one of the DIY and one of the best baths full stop I've ever seen, for that matter. And from another Oregonian--our state has so much to be proud of :)

• na_praha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm blushing. Thanks so much, Flyleft! We're relatively recent East Coast transplants to Oregon, and I find so much to be inspired by here between the architecture and the natural environment. It's a good place.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

hey, na praha (and vix too, although I know you cherish your privacy), there will be a g'web get-together on 8/21 at Papa Haydn's in the afternoon--just thought you might want to know...it's been talked about on the kitchens board.

We got here in 2002 -- I know what you mean about the multiple sources of inspiration available to us here. I was purely an east coast girl before coming out here--you *never* would have convinced me to think about moving away from the eastern seaboard before a certain event led us to try to find the most cycling-friendly city in the US...but now it seems like the Home that's always been waiting for me to discover it...

• na_praha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And part of what's great about it is how friendly and engaging people are here. What a great idea to have a gathering - I can't make this one but hope to make the next if it happens. Especially since the kitchen is next on my list to conquer.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Beautiful. I need to get to Target to check out the little cabinet between the sinks. I need one like that. Congratulations, job well done!!

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

You really did a beautiful job-- your budget makes it all the more impressive. Good for you!

• gspmominva
    15 years ago

Lovely bathroom. I too am a lurker, getting ready to redo the main bathroom in a 1929 bungalow. Any sealing problems with the marble tile you used and are you happy with it? BTW - loved seeing Huck in the picture, have 2 girls of my own.

• na_praha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, fellow GSP lover! I'm new to the breed but am learning how fabulous they are. We're using Miracle 511 Porous Plus for sealant and it's just fine. No problems with it so far.

Brutuses, those cabinets are online (and I think only online). I'll copy the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: I must have gotten this on sale because I didn't pay $99 for it

• na_praha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

House Vixen asked that I post our stained glass transoms when they were in, and they are - finally!

As is the shower riser and rod:

Thanks again for all your great ideas and nice feedback! n_p

• a_mara
    15 years ago

I love your bathroom! I know you said the vanities were by Pegasus but I cannot seem to find them anywhere!! Do you know the name of them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• na_praha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, a mara. The model is Raleigh, but I'm pretty sure it was a short-run kind of item. They came and went quickly to the clearance section in our area, at least. Depending on your price range, these from Home Depot might work:

American Standard Brook Console Table - Espresso - 9373.100.339 at The Home Depot

Pegasus Pegasus 24 In. Eurasia Vanity and Mirror Set - PEG-EURA-24ES at The Home Depot

You might also find a couple on eBay or Craigslist? Best of luck!

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Oooooh, still wrapping up our bath reno so am late to see your update but thank you so much for getting back to me (us!) with your gorgeous transoms!

The finished tub/shower looks great there too; I'll have to show Mr Vix since he quietly longs for a clawfoot or slipper. In fact, both the glass and room colors are so up my alley I'm about ready to show up with a robe and shampoo and throw myself on your mercy. What a great space you've created.

Enjoy long soaks -- you guys have earned 'em!

[And now that I'm nearly done I'm even more impressed with what you got for your money -- and we are no slouches at squeezing a penny.]

• paral
    15 years ago

Looks great!

However, I have always wondered how you use this setup as a shower. Don't the walls get wet from the splash of the water??

• marisany
    15 years ago

What a spectacular bathroom! I would have been impressed at $20k - $5k is unbelievable!

I love your color scheme, and the clean, serene look. I wish you many happy hours in that lovely room.

• na_praha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vix - don't get my husband started on that clawfoot! He rues the expense and the installation hassles. But it sure is pretty...

Paral - We have clear EVA liners around the whole perimeter. Not ideal, looks-wise, but the best solution in terms of water containment.

Thanks, Marisany - After 4 months, we're still not living in the master suite, so this gorgeous bathroom is going largely unused. You should see the one I shower in every day - if you scroll down in the link below, you can see images of the before and only slightly better after. Ugh! I'm looking forward to those many happy hours...

Here is a link that might be useful: My wretched other bathroom (and house)...

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Geez, I wouldn't care if I had to get in my car and DRIVE to the new bathroom -- especially given what you are using, ha. You guys need to start breaking in that beauty!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths