Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner99_gw

basketweave tile

newhomeowner99
14 years ago

im in a pickle. black/white basketweave tile was installed this week and looks great! now im having second thoughts on our countertop choice - luna pearl granite which has the same colors so im afraid its going to look like a washout (white vanity). we were trying to get as white as possible without going marble with luna pearl but bc its such a small space, im afraid there isnt enough of a contrast. now im thinking absolute black. any thoughts; pictures of your basketweave with coutertop??

Comments (19)

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

I don't have basketweave (there was NOTHING reasonably priced in ceramic back when I started buying for this project 2 years ago) but I have octagon and dot in black and white (just a black border so not as much black as you have), white subway walls with black trim, a white vanity and absolute black countertop. I can take a picture if you'd like to see it, or I have a picture of my console sink (no vanity just legs) that I can post now. Let me know if you'd like a pic of the vanity - we had the granite done one sink at a time and at the time this pic was taken the granite wasn't in yet on the second sink. I preferred the contrast, which is why I chose the color I did.

{{gwi:1445103}}

• blondelle
    14 years ago

I would go with the black top. I wouldn't use absolute black though, but one in black quartz. Has the same look but no worries about rings, water spotting, darkening or sealing.

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

Absolute black is one of the most bullet proof stones out there. It doesn't need to be sealed and there is no issue with water spots or anything else. We SO do not baby these countertops (we have a baby to baby!) and everything on it just wipes right off, even days later.

• loves2read
    14 years ago

personally I think the shine on absolute black makes it look like plastic--much prefer the honed look--but that does require more care

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

So shiny black = plastic? Well then I guess I have plastic looking tile, a plastic looking tub, plastic looking light fixtures and of course plastic looking counters. Sheesh. I don't need to post to try to help someone out only to get insulted.

newhomeowner, if you are interested in seeing photos, feel free to send me email through my link. That is if you can stand to see my ugly, water ringed, spotted up hunks of cheap looking plastic.

• advertguy2
    14 years ago

kgwlisa,

don't forget your faucets. it looks a little on the plasticy side too. nice plastic, but plastic nonetheless... :>)

• neesie
    14 years ago

kwglisa....your bathroom is very well done! (IMHO)

• suero
    14 years ago

I think that luna pearl granite would look fantastic with the basketweave floor.

• newhomeowner99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the feedback. guess i should be asking for pics of black and white bathrooms. im less concerned about the material and more concerned about the color combos. thanks!

• User
    14 years ago

I can see why you're concerned, I don't think the lighter counter top would offer the same pop of contrast as the black.

Advertguy: I don't understand the "plastic" comment finish depends on style and "preference", if honed is your preference, that's great, but no need to put someone elses style down because of it. Personally, I think honed is A little DULL & BORING, but I would have never said anything save your comment. In her situation, kwglisa made the perfect choice, it looks beautiful in that design and with the chrome.

• blondelle
    14 years ago

I thought absolute black was bullet proof too, but there have been many posts here to the contrary. Some have reported darkening from water, rings, fingerprints, smudging, and spotting. There really isn't much going on in AB in terms of color, movement, veining, pattern, or anything really that shows off the beauty of granite. That said, I think it's more prudent to go with quartz as you have 0 problems. That's my opinion!

• advertguy2
    14 years ago

hi,

please notice the smiley face at the end of my post above which looks like this... :>) i was adding to lisa's post about everything else in her bathroom looking like plastic (which it doesn't) in response to someone else's comment.

anyways, i love the colour scheme and would do the same in one of my bathrooms if my wife would go for it.

for future reference, :>) = smiley

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

Sorry for having a hissy everyone, but this project has been going on since 11/07 while I was pregnant with my son and it's STILL not done (though very close) and has been 2 steps forward one step back, so to have someone say that one of my last decisions looked like plastic really ticked me off.

blondelle, problems with absolute black have to do with slimy sellers who sell sub par stone that has been dyed and/or sealed and the problems are with the sealer and not the stone. Also absolute black has beautiful flecks and texture and sparkle that is different than quartz products. Not better, not worse, just different (I love some of the quartz products too)... but they are a bit more pricey than absolute black.

advertguy I got it :) I'm sure some think b&w is boring but we are never planning to leave this house and never planning to remodel this bathroom again and I don't want to look back in 20 years and be sick of the color (can paint the walls above ANY color, which was a problem in picking just one - I am still lusting after the coral I was considering) or sick of the style that is sooooooo 2007/8/9 (ugh has it been that long?) Our house was built in 1880 and most people comment that the bathroom looks like it belongs. Some of the modern bathrooms are really gorgeous too, I just wanted to go with something "safe".

newhomeowner, I will get pictures as soon as I can. The sink on the vanity is the one DH uses so I need to clean up a bit before taking the pictures and maybe remember to take off the baby proofing.

• User
    14 years ago

Ok Advertguy, you're off the hook!!! Thanks for clarifying :c) :c) :c)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

My B&W basketweave floor.

Laying it out:

I mated it with cobalt blue and white subways.

Casey

• newhomeowner99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kgwlisa and sombreuil_mongrel - can you give me info on your faucets? love them and having trouble finding an affordable cross handle. thanks!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Mine was from "Elements of Design". I was also very cost-conscious and it was the best value I could find.
    I linked to it below. Price almost as low as I remember it.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: E of D faucet

• HPTWarrior
    10 years ago

Where did you order the basketweave tile from? thanks

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

sombreuil, would you mind if i pin your bathroom floor for future reference. It is stunning and when I redo my guest bath in a year or two would like to refer back to it.