Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaron2005_gw

Durock seems? What 'mud/joint compoud' to use?

aaron2005
16 years ago

So the plan is to put up Druock on the walls around the tub and greenboard everywhere else, including the ceiling of the entire bathroom (not tiling on the ceiling).

I was going to put redguard over the durock as a water barrier, rather than put up a vapor barrirer under the durock (one of the walls is an exterior wall), I believe this is still ok to do. We would then tile over the redguard around the tub.

My first question:

Do I just use "normal" drywall tape & the bucket of mud from Home Depot (green or blue top) to do between seems of Durock?

2nd question:

How about between the Durock and Greenboard seems? Same as above, normal tape with gree/blue bucket of mud? Including the Durock Greenboard Ceiling transition?

And I assume, for Greenboard seems, it would be the same..but, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks everyone in advance,

Aaron

Comments (7)

• aaron2005
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, I can't spell!!!! Off on a daze when writing this question.

seam between the Durock.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Basically you can run the tape and hold off on the thinset until you reach that area while tiling

Not if he's going to Redgard it. It has to be thinsetted prior to using the Redgard.

As for the joint where the walls meet the ceiling, it depends on whether you're going to tile or paint the ceiling. If you're going to tile it, then thinset will do fine there, as well. If not, then you want to use Durabond, which can be sanded down and painted just like normal joint compound, but won't reimulsify the way joint compound will. AS for the greenboard in the rest of the bathroom, that's fine, whether you're going to paint it or tile it.

• aaron2005
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help. I haven't truely decided on the Greenboard for the ceiling just yet...but I do remember that I had heard about the sagging issue and was going to check the length. Worst case is that if it was greater than 16", then use furlows between the ceiling peices.

I am sorry, but what exactly is thinset? Is it just the compound that is used to hold the tile? To be honest, tiling is bigger than I, so I have hired a company to do the tiling. I am just doing the demo & prep work as I have been reading the forums and books for the last few months.

I have done drywall many times before, including a lot in the kitchen rebuild that I did..I just have never played with Durock before..and wanted to get it right the 1st time :).

Thanks for all the info,
    Aaron

• aaron2005
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Found the URl below about thinset..sorry.

Also, if I put the mesh tap, between the seems for the Durock, and then cover it with thinset..the next step after that is to put on Redguard..correct?

So when the contracter tiles..they'll put another layer of thinset for the tile itself, is this correct?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikiepedia Thinset

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Correct. You may want to sand or stone the edges of the thinset when you tape the durock, though, before you redgard.

• aaron2005
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just like when you do normal joint compound, smooth out to make it look as flush as possible?

And I just noticed, it isn't furlows...its furring strips..perhaps even 2x4 between the ceiling members.

I just started the fun part of demo...gotta love drywall dust :)