Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frameless glass shower with U channel hidden between tiles?

Posted by kaysd (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 15:30

We are doing a 59" wide x 8' tall frameless glass enclosure for a steam shower. There will be a door between 2 fixed panels, with a tilt out piece above the door to vent. I have been reading the threads that discuss clips versus channels, and I am wondering whether anyone has tried to "bury" the channel in between 2 tiles rather than mounting the channel on top of the tiles.

Our shower alcove is about 42" deep. I was thinking we could have the tile setter install the tile 40" out from the back wall, then affix the U channel to the wall right next to the tile, then butt a 1" tile trim piece up to the other side of the channel, so that very little, if any, of the channel is visible on either side. I would like to know if this technique works before I suggest it to the GC.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frameless glass shower with U channel hidden between tiles?

Hmmm, that's a good idea, one I may copy when we get to that stage in a month or so. What has your tile guy said? I would wondering about water penetrating.

What are you doing around the entrance to your shower? Are you doing clips on the vertical edges or u-channel? Also, are you going to tile the vertical edges (the edges that come down and meet the curb) or the same material as your curb/threshold?

o

I have not met the tile guy yet, as we will not be ready for tile for at least 7 weeks. I am just trying to get input before I describe this idea to our GC.

I am not sure yet whether we are doing a slab or tile threshold. I plan on all vertical surfaces being tiled, although I guess I could frame the entire opening with slab remnants if there is a benefit to the added cost. We are going for a sleek, modern look, and I think a slab frame might look more traditional.

o

tempered glass may break, too.

Use any method you want, but make it easy to replace the glass.

o

Would the method I am suggesting make it difficult to replace the glass?

o

There was a discussion about this in earlier -- I finally found the thread. Scroll down to where Chays starts posting. There you'll find some discussion of the "embedding" options + pictures of what Chays did. A truly beautiful bathroom. While it's not a steam shower, I don't see why there would be any problems.

When our glass walls were being installed (with clips + silicone), I asked about the embedding option. The only issue the installer said he might have would be identifying leaks when they occurred. But he did not see that as a big issue.

Hope this helps.

o

Our shower glass wall is inset into the tile without any clips or frames. the installers cut a channel into the finished tile, secure it with a special cement, and caulk the joint on each side to match the tile grout. Works and looks great!

o

No reason it cannot be done, it just requires prior planning and having your shower guy and glass guy on the same before the shower is even started.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here