Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stlouie

Silver Travertine

stlouie
14 years ago

Blondelle: I saw that you recommended silver travertine in another thread, but I didn't want to intrude there. I've been leaning toward a light cream color travertine look-alike porcelain to go in our master bath remodel with our 72" contemporary espresso vanity. But, all the stone look-alikes all lean toward beige or browns. I haven't seen any porcelain that mimics that silver travertine.

I had never seen silver travertine before you posted. I've always loved gray and white in a bathroom because it feels very soothing.

Have you started your bathroom remodel with it?

Have you researched any sites for the silver travertine or have you searched locally?

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• blondelle
    14 years ago

There's really no porcelain copy of vein cut silver travertine for some reason on the market. Never seen one. Both Walker Zanger--where photo is from, and Artistic tile have this is a 12 X 24 tile as shown for about $18 a sf. You can get cross cut copies in porcelain but not the same look. Tile is mostly shades of gray though. No cream or white in it.

The tile looks a bit grayer in person than the photo.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Far as I'm concerned, silver travertine's the most beautiful travertine I've seen yet. It makes me think of roman travertine as seen in a black and white photo. :-) Beautiful stone. :-)

• stlouie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found a travertine that has mostly gray in it at a local tile store. I'm headed there tomorrow night with my tile installer to get a second opinion. From what I remember when seeing it, it has alot of similarity to marble where there's big "blotches" of silvery-white in the gray and then some tiles are more uniform. My main concern is it not look too "busy".

My tile installer, who frequents JB's forum, is going to install a mudbed shower/Kerdi, epoxy grout, etc. He will seal the travertine.

I have 2 questions, if anyone can guide me.

I'm very concerned about the upkeep of Travertine on the shower walls and the bathroom floor. I'm so used to being able to just squirt some Lysol Tub and Tile Cleaner and scrub away!!! I realize I can't do that with Travertine. Any words of wisdom, suggestions?

This is a contemporary bathroom, and I love long narrow tiles. How would this travertine look cut like this? Install horizontally or vertically? Brick pattern?

The 72" espresso vanity will sit in the center of the bathroom with knee wall and shower to the left and knee wall and toilet to the right. We will have an espresso door with 3 frosted glass panels opening into the bathroom.

Trying to decide if I want to go with my true love of the gray travertine with a tiny bit of "bling", or do something more earthy with porcelain and insert some glass tile for accent. I had originally thought I would like to do glass subway tiles or longer glass tiles installed vertically, but I'm afraid the cost of that would be far more than the travertine. Thanks for all your help.

• stlouie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We did go ahead and order the travertine. On the 66" long wall of the shower it will have a 12" wide band running from shower floor to ceiling of the travertine that is tiny rectangles in a brick pattern. They will be turned on the vertical, running up and down. On either side of it, there will be 9" x 18" of the same travertine running horizontally in a brick pattern and also on the (2) 36" ends of the shower. We wanted the shower floor to be travertine in 2x2's, but it's on backorder until October and we can't wait until then. So we have to go with the 1x1's. I really wanted the floor to be a darker shade of this travertine, but couldn't find anything in a gray tone.

Thanks for posting about the silver travertine in the first place, Blondelle, or I would have never thought to look for it.

• tanem
    14 years ago

I also interested in 12" by 24" silver travertine for my master bath. I live in Tucson and have been to all the local tile shops and none have it. Do you have a supplier you could recommend? Thanks

• akrogirl
    14 years ago

Unique Tile and Stone in Scottsdale will try to obtain any stone or tile you want. We used them to get a certain stone for our counter tops that no one had in stock locally, and found them to be very helpful.

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Stlouie, happy I could help. Where did you find the silver travertine mini brick. Can I ask how much it was a sf.? I had my whole bathroom planned out, but I'm really bummed. Still don't understand this. I had some clear glass unbacked 1" tile from Hakatai in the Crystal shade, that I placed on white paper and it was just about water clear with no color at all, and I had wanted to use that with the vein cut travertine on the floor. I had some mastic and grout combo I did s sample with and it lost all it's sparkle and turned a cloudy light green. A then had a sample done with white thinset, and it was still a pale green. I don't understand where the green came from when the tile had no color on white paper. I can't use the green with the silver trav, so now I'm stumped ;-(. Had everything all set and decided...darn!