Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass and metal mosaic cutting HELP

Posted by jjaazzy (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 15:15

Help, we have thin 1/4" wide long strips of metal and glass. The metal is aluminum and it has a mesh backing. How do you cut the metal without it pulling it all around. We have tried it right side up and upside down and it keeps binding. We can cut one at a time but how do you do it on the mesh?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass and metal mosaic cutting HELP

I assume you mean at the ends of rows?

Remove it from the mesh for cutting, use hacksaw, and set those pieces individually.

This may help

http://ana-white.com/2014/05/momplex/mosaic-glass-tile-backsplash

o

Thank you, was hoping that was not the case, my tile is more metal then glass..... guess I have a lot of work ahead. Thanks....... The metal is hollow in middle so it grabs the blade..... well this project is going to take a while. Thanks again.

o

Wrap the tile (on the mesh) with saran wrap. It helps it stay together, and the backing doesn't get wet.

Ffeed it slowly, and it seems to work for me. I also cut Schluter with the wet saw.

o

Thanks all, we are in the thick of it now. have not tried the saran wrap yet, when we start again we might try that or blue tape. Till then I am cutting them individually to fill in where we had already started. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here