Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lineterry_gw

Bathtub width - Kohler Archer?

lineterry
9 years ago

I am looking for a bathtub that has a deeper soak (my current is 14" overall with 10" overflow - way too shallow) and is comfortably wide but not huge. I'm also looking for a known quantity company for quality and a reasonable price.

My current bathtub is a 60's one in a square surround - the basin (not overall) dimensions at the bottom are 43 x 23.

I decided on the 60 x 32 Archer which has overall dimensions of 45 1/8 x 19 11/16 and am now wondering if it will feel too narrow - not sure why they put the very narrow supports in. (If there was a 60 x 36 Archer, I think I would have gone for that.)

Any feedback on the width of the Kohler Archers? The depth is right, the length is right. The 72" Archer seems way too long and takes way too much water.

I looked at the Kohler Underscores and found a real one to try, but they were just too big overall, and proportionally shorter than the Archers.

Thanks for any suggestions and experiences.

Comments (15)

• lineterry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops , forgot to say I am looking for a drop-in. Found the Kohler Archer because it appeared in a lot of positive reviews and was in a best tubs list online.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Check out Kohler's Mariposa K1242. It is 60x36x20 with the interior bottom measuring 46x24. The specs say the water depth is 14 inches. If you need it deeper than that maybe you could see if one of the overflow drain covers they sell on Amazon would work and allow you to make the water a couple inches deeper.

I have a 66x36 Mariposa Whirl pool tub. I can honestly say that it is a very comfortable tub to lay back and relax in. Great back support and I like having the arm rests. I find that it is plenty deep enough for me.

My daughter did have the 60x32 inch Archer tub installed recently and loves it. Her previous tub was only 28 inches wide and only held about 9 inches of water so the Archer feels huge to her.

• bireland
    9 years ago

My husband & I have been testing the 60x 32 archer in a couple of showrooms. DH's torso is broader than mine. We both found tub comfortable & like the little arm supports ( for reading in tub). However, the 60 inch length is too short for me 5'10", with long torso). Not sure about going to the 66 inch as it is in a new material.

• lineterry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great suggestion on the Kohler Mariposa. I like the 66 x 36 proportions better than the Archer 66 x 32. Tested several 60" tubs and they are really too short (I'm tall.) Only 1 inch shallower but still much deeper than my current tub. Going with the Mariposa 66 x 36.

Thanks for the lead. It's very easy to find reviews and promotions for the Archer - it's much newer, and as one showroom person told me, it has matching bathroom items - toilet and vanity - that the Mariposa does not. Most showrooms that have Kohler have one of the Archers. None had the Mariposa. Found one with the Proflex 7236 which is styled more like the Mariposa (but narrower interior even though it is 36" wide.) It was enough, along with the few additional recommendations I did dig up on line to go with the Mariposa.

• szruns
    9 years ago

Just today, in my house, a 66x32 Archer and a 60x36 Mariposa were roughed in. What a funny coincidence! If you have specific questions about how they feel (no water yet) or fit, I can climb around in them and try to answer them. I did a lot of research here and elsewhere, and both these tubs seemed to get a lot of positive reviews. I put the mariposa in my elderly mom's bathroom since it isn't quite so deep and is supposed to be very comfortable. I put the Archer in a narrower guest/kid bathroom (squeezing to get to 32, no way for 36) that will serve both my very tall (6'4) brother as well as ultimately my teens when they are adults . . . and my son is on track to be 6' + so I wanted one guest/kid tub that was longer. Both look great. The Archer is nicely shaped for a shower/bath set up, and the Mariposa looks good in the soaking tub set up I have it in. Just looking at them, I'd lean towards the Archer for a shower/tub set up for frequent shower use as the walls are narrower so easy to step over, while the Mariposa walls are wider (wide enough to put a roman tub faucet coming up out of the side wall, which is what I did) How tall/big are the users of your tub going to be?

• sennitus
    9 years ago

Szruns, is your Kohler 66 by 32 Archer tub made from the Exocrylic materal? Am doing a gut renovation with an experienced team. This three wall alcove tub was just installed. I have halted the project because the tub seems way too flimsy. The interior sides of the tub can be pushed it, the one on the apron side more so. Has this been your experience?

• davidluci
    9 years ago

We're having a home built and are looking at the Kohler Archer (66x32) with the Exocrylic material. It didn't occur to me that it would be too flimsy!

• N N
    8 years ago

Hi, I am considering the Archer 66X32 and the Archer 60 X 32. I am 5ft 3 inches, t. I am concerned about the width of the Archer should I get the 36? Is the 32 too narrow?

• ajuju
    8 years ago

I recently sat in the 60 X 32 Archer, and found it extremely comfortable. I am 5'8".

• catherine_dubas
    8 years ago

I am finding our Archer alcove (60 x 30) very flimsy and delicate. Has anyone compared Archer construction with Underscore? Underscore is about half again as much $$--surely it's more sturdy...???

• rebeccamomof123
    8 years ago

I just installed the Archer 60X30. We didn't have the space for the 32. It will be used for showers and baths. It's installed but the work isn't comete yet. However, its seems quite spacious. Better use of space than our 60X30 tub upstairs. So, I'm sure the 32 is very roomy. Plus, I love the style and clean lines of the profile.

• mraekirk
    7 years ago

any answer re underscore vs archer????3 wall alcove is the application to be used

• SirJohn
    7 years ago

mraekirk - What is the application? Is this stand-alone tub or tub/shower? For tub/shower, I recommend Kohler expanse over either of these if it fits your space. It's not as deep (but that makes getting in or out easier), but makes for a more comfortable shower experience. Both my wife and I were more comfortable with the extra interior width of the Expanse for bathing than with the Archer. The width and easier entry was worth giving up the depth, but everyone is different in this regard.

• mraekirk
    7 years ago

need ADA compliant and yes, shower as well