Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Bath plan feedback

kats_meow
12 years ago

We are building a new house and would like any feedback on the bathrooms.

{{gwi:1460690}}

In the master bath the shower is 8' by 7'. There will be no door and the entry will be barrier free. We have dual shower heads and will probably put in some body sprays and handheld showers. Usually one person will use the shower but want to have it where two could comfortably use it. I think this is designed large enough so we don't have to worry about water getting out into the bath but would like feedback.

The tub is shown as 42x72. I want it to be wider so that the edge of the tub can be a seating area to sit while drying hair, etc. So I am thinking of making the decking 6" wider thereby making the bath room 6" wider (probably adding 6" to the shower width as a result).

Bath 2 is meant to have a handicap accessible shower (not needed for now but wanting it for future just in case). It is 36 x 72. It does have a door but no barrier at the floor. That is, a wheel chair could be wheeled in. It is designed with a seat at the end next to the toilet and the showerhead near the entry. I am thinking to get rid of the seat and put the showerhead at the end. Thoughts on what is best to make handicap accessible.

Comments (7)

• alku05
    12 years ago

I think your bathrooms look fine. As for planning for a future wheel chair, be sure the toilets are positioned in such a way that they'll be accessible too.

One random comment on your master closet if you don't mind...have you considered adding a door connecting the master bedroom and the closet directly? I noticed that it's quite a hike from the laundry room all the way into the closet, and adding a door would shorten the route a bit.

• pps7
    12 years ago

I would put a pocket door to your water closet.

How big are the master vanities? I wouldn't do less that 48".

Since bath #2 will be shared by 2 bedroom, I would take the linen closet out and put in a larger vanity. You can put in a built in storage cabinet for linens in the corner outside the bathroom. I prefer linens outside of bathrooms anyway.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I agree about the pocket door for the WC in the master. In bath #2, if you can I would put a wall and pocket door between the vanity and the toilet/shower room. It would make the space much more functional, especially for opposite sex siblings. One could be brushing teeth, doing hair/make up while the other is using the private shower/toilet compartment.

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good point about the pocket door in the master bath. I had that in an earlier plan and it got dropped out.

I think the point about the outside linen cabinet and larger vanity for bath 2 is a good one.

Agree with your points terriks.

• houseful
    12 years ago

You should have enough room in the WC to have that door swing in rather than a pocket door (unless you want a pocket door.)

I'd put the linen by the tub and put a long vanity with a make-up seat on the bedroom side of bath. If you want more seating around your tub, you can curve the deck.

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a nice idea. I don't love kneespaces but it might work.

• jansails
    12 years ago

I've used waterclosets in europe and they can feel claustrophobic. I'd lose the door entirely and have the partial wall for privacy. Is the toilet access wheelchair accessible size?
    THe wider the rim around the tub the farther you have to step over in order to get in the tub. Most tubs will have 3inch width on their own so 6 + 3 =9 inches - thats quite a streatch. you might mock it up and try it for size especially as you age which you're clearly planning for.
    Good luck on the house.