Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with a stuck metal bathtub plug?

Posted by aadambas (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 14:09

The bathtub at my mother's house is stuck down.

Unfortunately it's not a standard rubber plug but one of those very nice looking but overly complicated metal plugs that you screw into the drain and then push down on it to seal/unseal it.

The reason i think it is stuck down is that the rubber seal for the plug that fits around the screw down part needed replacing and I don't think my mother replaced it with the right type of rubber o ring seal.

So it's stuck down and despite pushing it down it won't release and drain the water away. It's chrome plated so I know if I try to unscrew using some grips it will scratch and ruin the finish (and I've already tried to unscrew it by hand but I just can't get enough of a grip).

Any help would be appreciated!

This post was edited by aadambas on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 18:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with a stuck metal bathtub plug?

That happened to us with a new Click Clack drain in a new sink. It would click to close, but not clack to open, and it was almost impossible to unscrew it. Bail out the tub get the drain top dry. See if one of those rubber grip thingies that opens stuck jar lids (that look like a mouse pad) can help to give you a surer grip to unscrew it, w/o scratching.

You might try the same question at a forum that specializes in plumbing. Those plumbers may have some secrets to share, because you are no doubt NOT the first person to have this happen.

Good luck!

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here