Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randekasp

Tiling pony wall

randekasp
10 years ago

Have you seen this? On the pony wall, the tile was installed vertically. I assumed it would all be horizontal. On upper half, already installed, there will be the glass frame, which will break it up. Installer also wants vertical on lower half. Given the horizontal subways and hex on floor, I am concerned that it will be too busy. Grout light gray, so lines will be less prominent. Floor will be subdued gray with some light streaking ( FYI:Emser Perspective Gray. 6x24). Top of pony wall and shelves of niche ( to be redone))will be Cambria tournay ( white with subtle streaking) to match facing vanity counter. . What do you think? Cabinetry white, walls soft blue. Want simple, peaceful bathroom. Thank you!

This post was edited by randekasp on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 15:03

Comments (6)

• randekasp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Photo should be visible now. :)

This post was edited by randekasp on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 14:57

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

The tiles on the pony wall look like bull nosed tiles (they appear to be a different size from the ones on the wall). If he didn't use those tiles vertically, how would you have him treat the corners?

• randekasp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great question. I'll tell you the truth- I have no idea. As I continue to look at it, it does make sense and hopefully looks OK. Thanks for the post.

• sserra85
    10 years ago

Professionally speaking this is not how it's usually done. I can see that it is not a common installation, though there's really nothing outright wrong with it. Someone not in the tile business would never bat an eye.

If it is bullnose it would be run vertically on the inside of the pony wall (the parts we dont see in the photo), and the tile on the front of the pony wall (the visible portion) would still be set horizontally like the rest of the bathroom.

If you're ok with it though, there really is nothing wrong.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

We have a pony wall in the process of being tiled. Our pattern for the walls is "stacked" and not "running bond" like yours. I think yours looks fine. I agree that I think the three vertical tiles across the pony wall are all three bullnose.

In our case, the bullnose are only on the side with the regular subway tiles laid horizontal on the front of the pony wall. I'm just showing you this as another example. I think your contractor was being a bit creative in a good way by laying the tiles vertically. But knowing how these things go sometimes, I also might suspect that he saved some tile cutting, especially if the bullnose tiles were narrow and allowed for an installation across the front of the pony wall with cuts not being necessary there (or at least possibly minimizing cuts) - not a bad thing.

But bottom line, I think yours looks quite nice. I probably would have accepted that as an option if my contractor had offered it.

I personally think as long as it looks straight and clean, this might be one of those things that is "six of one and half a dozen of the other" but YMMV.

• randekasp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Appreciate all the feedback. I think I can live with it. The bottom, which has not been tiled yet, is a bit thicker, so the middle tile will be the standard 3x6, with the bullnose on either side. Hopefully that will not complicate the look. Fingers crossed! Elphaba- hope your project goes smoothly.