Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

How important is balance when you are doing a remodel?

loves2read
9 years ago

We need to remodel our master bath in vacation house in FL--built in 1978.
Tiles are failing and there is water damage behind them.
House is concrete block and master bath is compartmentalized--
walk through narrow 24" pocket doorway from master bedroom into hall w/dual sinks/vanity on left and door into walk in closet on right--
go about 5 ft and walk through 2nd 24" pocket slider into area w/tub, toilet, and shower...and linen closet...1 window in corner shower...
You can see the corner shower from the bed but not the toilet -- just out of eyeshot...

We are considering taking out shower in corner and putting large shower across back/side wall where the big acrylic tub is now--it sticks out from wall probably 42 inches at widest...

Currently the toilet sits in middle of wall halfway between current shower and wide part of the tub...

IF we take out both the old shower and tub and add a bigger shower, there will be open space where the shower was in that corner where window is.
We can redo the linen closet and add more cabinetry under the window and for maybe 30" on wall beside the toilet--maybe even tile the wall behind the toilet into the new shower stall for continuity of materials...
I thought about even enclosing a rolling laundry hamper in that area behind doors or adding space for a tv...
Would that be enough to balance the space?
I am kind of person that really does like balance/proportion in design--
more traditional than contemporary style...

We would prefer not to move the toilet if we don't need to--and while I like having a private stall -- it is just impractical in this room if we are considering aging in place--the room is 5'11" x 11--wide but shallow...

I have tried to find a smaller corner tub to use where the shower is but don't think one exists that you could actually bath a human in that would fit...
I was even thinking that we could add a urinal for my husband but doint that might also require moving the shower drain...

Trying to find examples of rooms w/same layout when vanities are not in main bath has been frustrating--
this is practical layout for us--one can shower or use toilet while other is dressing or using sinks and both have privacy...
but difficult to find similar layouts...

This post was edited by loves2read on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 14:00

Comments (2)