Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hansgrohe Thermobalance Valve question

Posted by kmcg (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 13:46

I have read great posts that explain how the TB-III can be used to run a hand shower, an overhead shower, or both at the same time. I already own the trim for the TB-II, and need to buy a valve. Is there any way to use the TB-III valve with the TB-II trim and achieve the same result?

Also, in a typical home setup, should I get the valve with service stops?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hansgrohe Thermobalance Valve question

They do include notes in the installation instructions for the TBIII along the lines of "The Themobalance III valve requires a Thermbalance III trim kit. Do not attempt to use any other trim kit with this valve."

You could also call their tech service and ask.

Stops are generally required in commercial buildings and apartment buildings, etc, where it would be impractical to turn off a portion of or the entire water supply to work on one valve in one apartment. The stops allow the building's water to remain on while working on the valve. They can certainly be used in residential, I've done it several times.

I usually control water flow to individual areas in a house with full-flow 1/4-turn ball valves in the basement. A set for the kitchen. A set for the bathroom, etc.

o
RE: Hansgrohe Thermobalance Valve question

Thanks mongoct! Your posts have been so helpful as I shopped for the Hansgrohe shower stuff. It sounds like I should go for the stops as a convenience measure, unless I'm able to retrofit all the supply lines with valves for different sections of the house (what a great idea, but unlikely to happen in my vintage house).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here