Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Suggestions for a fancy light over tub?

Mom23Es
11 years ago

Our master bath will have a seperate shower and tub, and Im specifically looking for a fixture for over the tub. I've read several old posts about the code (and danger) of hanging a chandelier over a tub. I like the idea of a mini chandelier over the tub, but if it's not a safe idea then I'm fine using an alternative solution. I've found a couple flush or semiflush mount crystal light fixtures that I like (on overstock.com), but not of them specify that they are approved for damp locations. I'm assuming a bathroom light fixture should be approved for damp use. Right?

Ceilings are 8', tub area is 4'x6', and bathroom overall dimensions are about 14'x11'. My faucets and other light fixtures will be chrome.

Any suggestions? :)

Comments (4)

• beeps
    11 years ago

Huh. Interesting. I thought lights in showers needed to be approved for damp areas, but I didn't know that about a tub. And, I just picked out the chandelier I'm going to hang over mine. =) I never use a tub so if the fear is it will fall in while I'm in the tub I have no worries about that. Vanity lights aren't rated for damp areas, are they? So why would a light over the tub have to be I wonder? And yet I think the light in my laundry room is damp rated. Hope someone else addresses this.

Ohh... just found this:

The National Elecric Code states:

410.4(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires (fixtures), hanging luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.

So much for my pendant idea... :(

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

That's what I thought, yet I've seen candice olson put chandeliers over tubs a lot on her show....maybe code is different in Canada....

You could certainly hang one in the middle of the room, just has to be higher.

• Vicki Pidgeon
    11 years ago

I was wanting to put a chandelier over my tub too! After reading this post - I had an idea - how about a (real) candle chandelier? They have many battery operated candles that look real; and some candles even have remote controls! I found a couple chandeliers on EBay that even have the crystal 'shabby chic' look I wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay listing

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Well, I guess that means I'll have to take the chandelier with me when I go. ;-) I have 10 foot ceilings and The bottom will be at least 8 ft from the floor. I am not silly enough to stand on the lip of the tub and grab my chandelier while dripping wet, and if it were to fall, it wouldn't matter if it was a couple feet higher.

Seriously, I've heard a lot of folks put in a plain ceiling light for inspections and then change them to something more decorative. I knew there was a regulation, but didn't realize it was 8 ft from the rim of the tub. I'm not working on my bathroom -- yet. That would mean nothing hanging down from a ceiling that is less than probably 12 feet and even 11 feet for a semi-flush. I'm not sure that much is needed.