Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shower ceiling

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 13:27

any idea why the ceiling has small drop down section above shower? bathroom is in lower level. has 8ft ceilings in rest of area. ceiling in bathroom is 7 feet. shower is 6'-10" or so. yes there is a pvc pipe above shower running from the upstairs bath which is about 6 feet to the side of basement bath. shower has tile walls, not a formed fiberglas enclosure so height can be anything. if you built this shower from scratch, would you do away with ceiling drop?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shower ceiling

I think it was just the style. Mine is like that too, from 1957. There is definitely no function for it in my bathroom.

o

The bath was put in the same time the upstairs bath was built. I think the plumber just ran a horiz drain pipe and the carpenter built the drop ceiling. The PVC pipe could easily been raised 2-3 inches so ceiling above shower could have been flush with bathroom. I am redoing a similar bath in another house and am using this one as a reference. I am tearing out a small shower stall and putting in a larger one. I have the same ceiling height issues to deal with. I have a low ceiling. 6'-6" and do not want to give away 2" of height over shower

o

Functionally, I have no idea. Stylistically, some designers will use a drop ceiling to highlight an area, set it apart, or make it more cozy. But this usually works best when the ceilings in the room are so high that they cry out for differentiation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here