Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kerdi with wedi... Bill V?

Posted by gbsim (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 13:19

Anyone with wedi board and drain knowledge?
The tile contractor for the new build is suggesting wedi board under the Kerdi and wants to use a Wedi drain. Not a curbless shower but I think he wants to do a very shallow step up.
So can you combine Kerdi with Wedi drains?
And is the cost of wedi board instead of Durock substantial enough that I should tell him not to use the Wedi board?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kerdi with wedi... Bill V?

Covering Wedi board ($$$$$) with Kerdi($$$) isn't what I would consider to be the best use of construction funds.

Alright, I'll simplify...it's a huge waste of money. Huge.

If this is not a steam shower, then use Wedi alone, or use Kerdi over cement board.

If this is a steam shower, then use Kerdi over cement board. Wedi isn't appropriate in a steam shower.

If your guy likes the lightweight membrane covered "boards" and you need a vapor barrier, then there is always Kerdi Board, that is appropriate in a steam shower. But that is pricey too.

Then simplify the drains. Wedi drain for Wedi system, Kerdi drain for the Kerdi tray. (Or Kerdi drain set into a sloped mud pan.) I don't know of any compatibility studies regarding Wedi Drain with Kerdi membrane. That doesn't mean it won't work. That doesn't mean it's doomed to fail. But it is a combination that wouldn't be covered by anyone's warranty.

Substantial? I do think 1/2" cement board is more substantial or stiffer on the walls than the 1/2" membrane-covered foam boards, unless you get into the thicker boards. But then your cost increases and your shower shrinks in size.

o

gbsim is this suggestion of Wedi topped with Kerdi to be for the walls? Or floor?

o

The Wedi was for the walls as far as I understood it. The suggestion of the Wedi actually came from the tile supplier who is furnishing materials for the installer.

I've been working with the supplier for my tile and I made such a big deal about wanting a well done waterproofed shower that I think they tried to go overboard.

I've written an email and saying I want to stick with Durock and Kerdi and the Kerdi drain.

Thanks for your advice mongo. I had a feeling that the warranty would be an issue. And we don't have an unlimited budget.

I first found gardenweb about 4 years ago shortly before a "trained" kerdi installer tiled half my shower using mastic to adhere tile to kerdi. Thamks to confirnation on GW that this was wrong, I was able to get it stopped before grouting and hired someone who knew what they were doing, tore it all out and gave me a quality job.
Unfortunately I'm now 1000 miles away from this great tiler and am hoping I can find someone who puts in kerdi like its supposed to be installed.

It's a real crap shoot.... People say they are trained but apparently sleep during class. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here