Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeebee_gw

Some help with shower glass? (pic included)

zeebee
14 years ago

Would love some feedback on the shower glass for our new bathroom.

Here's the bathroom as it is now, dust-covered tile and all:

The shower there in the back measures approximately 64-1/2" long and 36" wide/deep.

Here are the options:

1 - original plan/dream: stationary panel of glass anchored on the toilet wall, running 34-1/2". 30" of open access/no door. BUT: are we going to have water constantly splashing out of the shower area and onto the towel warmer and the floor?

2 - modification 1: keep 34-1/2" stationary panel and add 30" glass door anchored on the towel-warmer wall. Door would swing into the shower.

3 - modification 2: have two stationary panels with the door between. Measurements would look something like 12" panel by towel warmer, 28-30" door, 22-24" panel by toilet. BUT: is this too many panels, will it look choppy and weird? And can those sized panels hold the weight of a 28-30" door without everything shaking when the door is opened?

And after all that, how high should the glass be? Our shower arm is set at 79" (we wanted it high) and the glass guy proposed having the glass top out at the next grout line up from that, which would be 90". That seems HUGELY tall to me. The bathroom does have 9' ceilings, but 90" panels and doors???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (8)

• suero
    14 years ago

You can't do #2. By code, the door must swing out of the shower.

#3 is entirely feasible. We have 2 13" panels on either side of a 34" door. The stationary panels are anchored into the studs. We have 1/2" stationary panels, 3/8" movable panel

You don't want the door too high, or it will be too heavy. You could have the side panels taller than the door.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

I would prefer #2. Frameless doors can swing either way after it is installed. Is there not enough room to swing out?

Also I would recommend getting starphire glass to keep your gorgeous marble from looking green.

• zeebee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Suero, hadn't even thought about higher panels than doors - that's a good pint.

Pharoah, there's not enough room to swing out, mainly due to the towel warmer which projects 4" from the wall. And I'm going to ask about starphire - it wasn't mentioned by the glass guy but I know from this forum that it is an option.

Thanks for your feedback.

• zeebee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aaargh - I meant to say that's a good point. Obviously I need a drink. ;)

• nopushover
    14 years ago

I think you can go with either #2 or #3, and second pharaoh's recommendation that you get starphire glass, if possible. For our recent bathroom remodel we went with starphire and are so glad we did - you don't get the greenish tint that comes with thick glass.

We have a set-up like your #3 option and it doesn't look choppy or weird (see below photo). We choose this because there is a hand-held shower on an adjustible bar located opposite the fixed showerhead. The width of our shower is 61.5" - it has one 19.5" wide fixed 3/8" thick glass; a 28" wide 3/8" thick glass door was hinged off of a 1/2" thick, 14" wide fixed glass (both fixed glass panels are hinged to the wall). Height of the panels is 75".

• advertguy2
    14 years ago

i'd go with option 3 with the hinges on the side of the toilet if possible (door can open without hitting toilet).

as for the height, i would go to the ceiling. is the ceiling in the shower tiled? if so, take the side fixed panels to the ceiling and have a shorter door with a tiltable transom on top. thats what i have and it's great. keeps the warmth in in the winter and helps it get out in the summer while showering.

• lagrant
    14 years ago

Welp, I have nothing to contribute. Zip. Zero. I just had to stop to say that your marble is beautiful :).

• zeebee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nopushover, thanks for the pictures - that's exactly what we want to do if we go three panels, and you're right, it does not look at all choppy.

Advertguy, we did not tile the ceiling, so I'm a little hesitant to take the glass that high - it'd be 108+" and might look like one of those Star Trek "beam me up, Scotty" glass pods. ;) I do want to investigate the hinges on the toilet side.

Lagrant, thanks for the compliment! We agonized over marble selection, going so far as to visit our vendor's warehouse in NJ to go through a number of lots. When the bathroom is usable, I can't wait to post pictures!

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.