Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Half bath reveal (pics) and a question about pedestal sinks...

joannemb
11 years ago

This is our VERY tiny half bath---

Dh put in hardwood (goes throughout the entire first floor) and wainscotting. He built the cupboard in the wall and lined it with chicken wire (my idea---it was cheaper and easier than glass.) The faucet and sink are American Standard and the hooks on the wall/toilet paper holder are from Pottery Barn. Got the schoolhouse lights online, and the wall color (although it looks very washed out in the picture) is Comet Dust from Valspar.

{{gwi:1459911}}

{{gwi:1459912}}

{{gwi:1459913}}

{{gwi:1459914}}

{{gwi:1459915}}

My question for those who have pedestal sinks is, do you have a problem cleaning the crease between the wall and the back of the sink? It gets kind of grimey back there after a while and is REALLY hard to get into that crease to clean. Any ideas?

Comments (27)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

It looks adorable!!!!!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I have a pedestal sink and have this problem because I'm still being indecisive about putting some backsplash tile up vs just caulking. I think if you caulk between the wall and the back of the sink and make certain it's flush and smooth, that should help with the grime.

• sserra85
    11 years ago

I have no advice. But WOW.. stunning bathroom. That built in looks great... I especially love the chicken-wire. The space seems really well thought-out. Perfection!!

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love the beadboard and chicken wire.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Lovely bathroom and that cabinet is super clever! Great addition to a small space.

I have a pedestal sink, but it's fairly large and so far I've not had an issue with grime between the sink and the wall. Also, my wall is flat so I don't have grooves to deal with like you do with the wainscoting....can you caulk the area?

• enduring
    11 years ago

You've done a fantastic job. I love the built-in. I am glad to see the dark floor and the white wainscot work so well together. I am planning mine in a similar high contrast, using white tile and black slate. You've given me reassurance!

Regarding the back of the sink, I don't have any suggestions that I've actually used. Could you caulk it with an unsanded white tile caulk? Or a caulk that is paintable so you can match your wainscot?

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! :) I was wondering if I could caulk it....Just unsure if it would look strange or not. You are right though---it is the grooves that are the issue.

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

Where did you get, or how did you make the ball jar dispenser?

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got a lid on etsy

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61834920/mason-jar-soap-dispenser-lid-only-a-zinc

And just put it on a ball jar that I had at home. She also sells the jars too (blue or clear) with the lid/pump.

I got the lavendar bottles (not a great picture---they look clear, but they are actually light purple) on etsy and ebay.... I bought a few authentic ones, and then mixed in some home-made ones because they are so darn expensive! I made the home-made ones by mixing mod podge with some purple foodcoloring (mixed red and blue) and brushed it on using a good flat 1 inch brush.

• juddgirl2
    11 years ago

Very pretty! We're adding a half bath soon and yours is an inspiration. Love the added storage space. Our bath will be very small so I'll ask DH if he could do something similar.

Would you mind posting a picture of the shower area?

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is our downstairs half bath, so there is no shower. We are in the process of doing our upstairs master bath (also small, but has a stand up shower) and I will post pictures in late August when we are finished... (At least that is when my husband promises it will be done!)

• juddgirl2
    11 years ago

Very pretty! We're adding a half bath soon and yours is an inspiration. Love the added storage space. Our bath will be very small so I'll ask DH if he could do something similar.

Would you mind posting a picture of the shower area?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

That's a really pretty bath. I love the cupboard.

• tim45z10
    11 years ago

How about looking for a 2-3-4 tile mosaic that matches your theme? Use clear adhesive caulk to mount the tiles. I would caulk all around the tiles as well.
    If with tiles or without, a clear bead of kitchen/bath silicon where the dirt builds up.
    White tends to mold.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

That came out really nice. The built in cabinet and wainscoting really make the room!

• emagineer
    11 years ago

My bath has a pedestal sink and bead board like yours. The bead board is a bit fussy keeping clean at the base boards and behind the sink. I used caulk behind the sink which helps a great deal to seal between sink and bead board, does keep the water away. Also caulked the baseboard to bead board area. Most of the time I run a vacuum brush along all edges. Clean with Bleach Cleanup for baths. Grime really isn't a problem, just the dust loving those details.

• kamkar2006
    11 years ago

Amazing job! Love the way pedestal sink....but you have me wondering the same, how am I going to clean there? I honestly had not given it any thought!

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Great bathroom!

How deep is the built in cabinet?

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just deep enough to hold a double size roll of toilet paper. Hand towels fit perfectly rolled and set in on their side.

• Seasyde
    11 years ago

I have a similar setup with pedestal sink & beadboard. My sink is curvier than yours and there is no caulk. I use an old toothbrush to clean the hard to reach places.

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A toothbrush is a good idea....I will try that!

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just deep enough to hold a double size roll of toilet paper. Hand towels fit perfectly rolled and set in on their side.

• susieliz
    11 years ago

We have 2 pedestal sinks, one is up against beadboard and we did that one ourselves. I felt I needed to caulk it and it is always grimy, even in the master bath. The other one is up against subway tile and is not caulked. I have never cleaned it and it looks great, it's in the main floor bath. I'd try not caulking it and if need be you can always caulk it later.

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry I accidentally moved the photobuckrt pics so here is a new link to the pictures...

Here is a link that might be useful: Joannemb bath

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here is the link to pictures from our master bath (with shower) that I had mentioned was in progress....and is now finished.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master bath

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, last link didn't work....Here it is again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Bath

• enduring
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the links. These are so nice. Love both baths but your master is really beautiful. You and your DH have done a wonderful job. Enjoy!