Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom with 2 entrances: what do you think?

Posted by kmcg (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 13:01

We have one bathroom in our upstairs, along with 3 bedrooms and a small office. Just I and my husband living here full time. We're renovating the bath, and my contractor suggested adding a door between the bathroom and the master bedroom - creating a sort of psuedo en-suite. In your opinion, would an extra entry add value or function to the bathroom? Or is it just strange?

If I don't do the extra doorway, I can add some linen storage.

I posted a long, complex version of this question earlier, and I thank those of you who responded. But if anyone has a gut reaction either way, I'd love to hear it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom with 2 entrances: what do you think?

My parents have a "master bathroom" that has a door from the master bedroom into the bathroom and also a door from the hall into the bathroom. For them, this is extremely functional. It allows them quick/easy access to the bathroom whether from their room at night or in the day when they're elsewhere in the house. They also use the bathroom for a sort of "air lock" system when pets need to be contained while certain guests are in the house. The only drawback is the wall space that a door takes up that could be used for something else.

o

with 3 bedrooms, I might suggest not to do it.

For one thing, it might just end up transmitting sound into the master bedroom. No matter how good the door is and the installation. Then, it might end up looking like you never intended for the other bedrooms to be used as bedrooms. A door to your bedroom can intimidate shy bladders and other body parts, and some people might have a hard time using the bathroom toilet for the main purpose that it was designed for. They also might be shy about flushing it.

o

I think if you don't need the storage it is a good idea to add the door. But I think the storage has more value in most situations besides those where there is plenty of storage already.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the added noise due to the doorway, but I'm a heavy sleeper and I assume that everyone who shares a bathroom is accustomed to hearing bathroom noises and being heard.

o

Thanks - yes, the sound thing concerns me a bit, I have to admit. And storage is practically non-existent in our very vintage house. I really liked the 2-door idea initially, but now I'm leaning toward just a hallway door. I found an old thread on a similar question, and the crowd seemed pretty evenly split between liking the second door and not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here