Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a Toilet

Posted by laurencane (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 12:59

I want to move my toilet from its current location to the wall across from it. I have a cement foundation. My contractor said that it would be VERY epensive so we threw the idea out the window but the more I think about it, the move would make the bathroom soooo much more functional. How expensive is this move? Is the contractor just being lazy? Is it likely to lead to other unforseen expenses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a Toilet

Get a couple of actual quotes. In my case, we were told it would cost an additional $3K to relocate the toilet, not counting ceiling repairs on the room under the bathroom. So we nixed it. YMMV

o

yeah, that's not in the budget...but Ill get quotes. ugh

o

We just added a bathroom to our basement, which involved cutting the concrete from the main drain to the new toilet and shower locations (about 7 feet away), adding the plumbing in the trench, and then pouring new concrete. Excluding any flooring or finish over the top of the new concrete, the work cost us about $1500. And we feel like our contractor is very reasonably priced.

o

I so want to move the toilet in our basement bathroom. Everytime I mention it to my DH (plumber) he either sighs, rolls his eyes or says "Are you going to run the jackhammer?"

o

I'm also very paranoid that it will compromise the foundation or other aspects of the house. Is this a reasonable concern? Or am I just being paranoid? I just think of a jackhammer in there messing with the foundation and picture all the walls and everything shaking.

o

My guy just used a machine that cuts the concrete, not a jackhammer. He very cleanly outlined the trench, and then was able to pry the concrete out by hand. Nothing shook. Our house is over 100 years old, and it was interesting to see what was under the concrete - including a waste pipe that had probably been leaking for years. It doesn't seem like the integrity of our foundation was harmed by cutting and patching.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here