Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Finished small bath update! (Pics)

Pipdog
11 years ago

We're remodeling/updating both of the baths in our house and just finished the smaller one. It's a 3/4 bath we updated with Carrara marble basketweave tile.

I don't have any true "before" photos, but here was the tile floor beforehand. I tried about 15 paint colors in that room.

Paint - BM Nimbus

Floor - Marble Basketweave by AKDO

White subway tile in shower

Comments (27)

• enduring
    11 years ago

Very Pretty tile. The room is lovely and makes a beautiful transition to the bedroom.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

The floor wasn't bad before, but I really love this new look with the basketweave!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Looks very calming. I love the wall color and the floor!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, enduring, kmcg and williamsem. I forgot to mention that the grout color is Silver Shadow by Laticrete, which I found on this forum. We had initially considered white grout but we are so glad we went with Silver Shadow because it is a perfect complement to the Carrara tile - not too dark, not too light.

Thanks to GW forum for all the collective wisdom here!

• tartanhabit
    11 years ago

Oh, how elegant - all works together very nicely.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

What a very pretty room! I especially love your floor and that awesome window!!

• jstehl
    11 years ago

I love the flooring. It is so fitting for the bedroom next door. Great job!!

• Mick Mick
    11 years ago

I love it. Enjoy!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Very pretty bathroom!!!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, all! This is a toddler's bathroom, so we will see how the Carrara marble holds up. It's polished and we sealed it, so hopefully it won't take too much abuse. :-)

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

You did a great job selecting the wall color, it's a great backdrop to the cool basketweave marble. What a nice bathroom to have right off the bedroom.

What kind of wood is on your bedroom floor? It's gorgeous.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, egganddart! The hardwood floors in the bedroom are red oak and original to the 1950's house. We had them recently refinished and stained a custom color.

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

Ah, custom colors! I never considered that. I couldn't find a stain I liked for the white oak floors I put down last year. I finally settled on one, and I don't like it!

Who had the custom formula, the floor finisher? I have to find out more about this. Thanks

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We created the custom color by trying various samples on our floor. We have a mix of red oak and white oak floors in our house (we have an addition), so we had to modify the mix as the stain looked different on the red vs. white. I would think a good refinisher should be able to work with you to find a color that you like.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Excellent...what a terrific space.

Well done!

• ppalm
    11 years ago

LOVE your work! That basketweave is gorgeous! I love cararra, but it tends to be quite gray these days. Yours appears to have the white I prefer. Do you remember if it is the AKDO cararra or cararra bella? I see where you mentioned this room is for a small child. We are in the process of tile selection for a hallbath ( 7 year old and occasional older siblings). I have samples of a calacatta hex and herringbone sitting in front of me, just begging to be placed on that floor!~....maintainance concern is the only thing holding me back. I keep thinking I need to be practical and go with the standard white ceramic 2" hex-but my heart keeps pulling me back to the marble. Are you happy with you decision to go with a natural stone in a child's bath? Thanks!!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi ppalm, thanks! The basketweave is AKDO's carrara bella, which tends to run quite a bit less gray than the regular carrara (link below). We've had no issues with it being in a toddler's bathroom. We've had a few toilet-missing accidents and some spilled soap on the floor and so far no etching or staining. We sealed it twice with 511 sealer. I had major reservations about putting in a kid's bathroom but I'm happy with our decision as it seems to be doing just fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: AKDO basketweave

• ppalm
    11 years ago

Thanks so much! I was thinking it was bella-meaning white and more $$$! Better to do it right the first time, I suppose! Do you remember what color you painted the trim in that room?

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, the Bella is a bit more pricey than the regular carrara. The carrara is a bit too gray for me. The trim is all painted BM White Dove.

• awm03
    11 years ago

Très chic, pipdog! Sophisticated & stylish. I love it.

• docrck
    11 years ago

Beautiful renovation pipdog! Two questions please:

Which laticrete silver shadow did you use? Was it permacolor or spectra lock? I ask as you have the same honed marble floor tiles as we will soon have.

Did you seal the marble before the grout AND after the grout or just after?

Many thanks

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks docrck. We used the permacolor Silver Shadow. And we only sealed once after grouting.

• vineyardflute
    11 years ago

Fantastic job!! Love, love, love the floor tile!! All that white would scare me in my home with 2 mechanics and 2 in construction there is always a mess to clean up.

• gabelman
    11 years ago

I'm also renovating my small bathroom. Your bathroom looks really nice. What kind of toilet did you get? I need a small toilet but also looking for fast flush Class 5 system.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gabelman, the toilet was actually there when we bought the home. We just upgraded with a new seat for toddlers from Lowe.

• enduring
    11 years ago

This deserves a bump. Beautiful small bathroom remodel. Elements calming and elegant.

• kdixon7851
    8 years ago

Are these tiles honed or polished? They have a nice shine so I thought they were polished but a previous post mentioned that the tiles were honed. Thanks!