Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have a vessel sink? Likes & dislikes?

Posted by Rareindigo (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 12:41

Having trouble deciding on a sink for our vanity (old dresser only 18 inches deep).

Its hard to find a small drop in sink, so I'm considering a vessel. Are you happy with your vessel - would you put one in again?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have a vessel sink? Likes & dislikes?

all things considered, i would go Undermount or integrated (like the Ikea sinks that are countertops too).

Here is a link that might be useful: example at ikea web site

o

I've had two and I loved them both. The first was a blown glass sink that cracked a year after installation. So I wouldn't recommend glass at all. Just my experience.

I replaced it with a ceramic vessel that does not have high sides (3.5") and I love it. Love how it looks and how it functions. I'm not sure I would like a deep vessel though. If you don't allow for the height, you could have water dripping down your elbows, which I hate. :)

o

My contractor explained that a customer of his had problems with a vessel sink but mainly because it didn't have an overflow valve, you know the thing that means there is a whole in the sink where water runs before it will run over the top of the sink. There was some problem with something like a vacuum being formed in the vessel sink preventing water from going down the sink until the customer reached in every time and "jiggled" the water in the bottom of the sink (I think). Then water would flow out. I had no reason to double what my contractor was saying.

Since my discussion, I've noticed that there are definitely some vessel sinks with an overflow that includes Kohler and Toto. I haven't decided for sure which way I go but if I go with a vessel sink, I definitely plan to pick one that has an overflow.

o

Love ours. I have an Oceana glass sink in black nickel. It's stunning, get compliments on it all the time. The faucet (Jado) delivers the water just so, and therefore we have zero splashing. It's easy to keep clean and right now, since we're under renovation, it's our dishwashing sink and we have had zero issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oceana glass sinks

o

I love the look of vessel sinks, but don't think I could live with the function. Our bathrooms in the "new" house have top mount sinks, and when I clean the counters with a sponge I hate that I can't just mop the soapy water off the counter into the sink like I could with the undermount sinks at our last house.

o

My in-laws have 2. They do NOT have them in the master bath, which I think was a GOOD call. I cannot imagine washing my face over a vessel. For washing hands, fine.
Major drawbacks-because the sink is in the way, my kids cannot turn on the faucets themselves. The one downstairs has the faucet coming out of the wall and the handle is there as well. So, they can go to the bathroom themselves, but not reach the handle, even with a small step stool-they are 5.5 and 7 years old.
You NEED a good backsplash. SPLASH being the operative word as water seems to wind up everywhere with their vessels.
Pros-they look really nice. My ILs downstairs is a blue almost molten glass looking bowl that is beautiful.

o

I have a Kohler semi-integrated vessel, just been using it for a month or so. It isn't very high, an important factor I think. I really love it. It is in our master bath. I use it to wash my face, brush teeth, etc., no backsplash. Some drops of water get on the counter and wall, but not much. No more so than with our other undermounted sinks I think. I wipe up droplets after I dry my hands, mostly because I'm still babying my walnut counter.

o

Honestly, vessels are so much more easy to use than regular sinks. I am 6' tall and find that undermount sinks are actually harder to use, I have to lean over. A vessel I dont have to lean over, and its just an easier way to wash your hands and or face. I would imagine for small kids it could be a problem, but for adults, I think you cant go wrong with a vessel sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: VesselSinks.com

o

I have had a glass vessel sink and waterfall faucet set that I purchased for $150 from Overstock.com about 3 years ago. No problems. I love it. This vessel sink is on my vanity countertop, which I made low enough to sit at for makeup, etc., since the vessel would then be high enough for washing face, brushing teeth, etc. I have had no problems with draining at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here