Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cme10ae

Need help with mirror/vanity light

cme10ae
10 years ago

This is the original vanity light, the mirror is a temporary one. We tossed the old mirror, it matched the vanity but the bottom of the frame always got wet and the finished flaked off. It was too large anyway and interfered with the sink stopper.

I would like a simpler mirror, nothing ornate or with a finish that would flake off, lol. This mirror is 41" x 29" (outside measurement). I'm not a fan of the light fixture but can't find anything I like better. I was thinking of replacing the shades with something like the ones at the link posted. Right now the left edge of the mirror is 4" from the corner of the room (no room for a side sconce with a large mirror).

I could really use some ideas...

Here is a link that might be useful: replacement shades

Comments (6)

• musicteacher
    10 years ago

Funny but I looked all over town for a mirror like yours and couldn't find one anywhere. Silver is very difficult to find. I ended up getting the only matching ones I found find - at Target. It will probably peel too. I considered some at the big box stores that had a very narrow silver frame and they were on brakets that you could adjust the tilt. I couldn't decide if they looked modern or old fashioned! I like your shades on the link, but the ones you have are nice too. Pretty bathroom!

• lillo
    10 years ago

I too like your mirror , why aren't you keeping it ? I like these sconces too , any reason for using the square ones with ridges . I think the ones that you have now are better matching with the rounded drawers pulls and rounded faucets knobs . However it's your bathroom and you pick what you like .

• s8thrd
    10 years ago

One comment: You say "no room for a side sconce." But we only have six inches between our medicine cabinet and the wall and there is a sconce there. If you went with a 36 inch mirror--which is still a wide mirror--you could have side sconces, if you'd prefer them.

Though, from the photo, that mirror looks perfect there.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I would use an oval mirror to soften all the rectangular lines.

I also think a 3-light fixture would look better, and it will give plenty of light. I have one over a 36" vanity in room without a window.

• cme10ae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The mirror you see is actually our bedroom mirror, it goes above the dresser. When I painted the bathroom I took down the old peeling mirror and didn't bother putting it back (it was HEAVY). So, I could lower this one a bit so it doesn't collide with the light shades and live with it, but then I'd need to find another bedroom mirror (which would be easier though), but I'd also have to worry about this one peeling from water splashes. This one is too pretty to ruin. My husband splashes :-(

I do like the idea of an oval, may flowers, and a 3-light fixture, thanks. Do you think a beveled oval would be nice, or should it have a frame?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Either. The unframed are easier to find though. Gatco has several that are reasonably priced.

Lightingdirect.com. has hundreds of light fixtures. Like you, I couldn't find a fixture I loved. So many look "builder basic" or too ornate. I bought the Gatco Oldenburg. It was one of the few that is polished chrome over brass. It's an up/down light and takes 100W bulbs. I have 75W bulbs in it and it lights the room.

I also liked this Quizol one, but it was out of stock and I couldn't wait till July. They have two now.

Here is a link that might be useful: light