Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth1954_gw

tub with low side???

beth1954
13 years ago

My mother is determined to get a certain kind of tub that I'm not sure even exists. She wants a standard sized tub that has the side cut very low so that she can step in it easier. She thinks they make them that way. I can't find any on the internet. We can't afford the nice "walk-in" tubs, so that's not an option. She believes that even though the side is cut down low, that in a shower, it will not go over that side and make the floor wet.

Any ideas? Money is definately an issue as well.

Comments (17)

• johnfrwhipple
    13 years ago

You will have a tough time finding this low side wall tub with out paying top dollar. Your Mom is used to all the old tubs of the early 50's and 60's.

They where about 30" wide and had low sides because most homes had small 40 gallon max hot water tanks. These tubs are easier for elderly people to step in and out of and easier still for Dad and Mom to bathe the little ones after supper.

I would suggest you look at your salvage yards for this "Old School" look. My town is full of them and most times they sadly make there way to the dump.

My Nana's is Green....

• cookie08
    13 years ago

Oceania Baths make a couple of easy step over tubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oceania Baths - Estime Collection

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

The corrolary to a low tub is that the water level is very shallow and poor for actual bathing. Yes, it's OK for showering, but you're not really gaining any utility for bathing with such a tub. Why not just replace the tub with a shower? If you're at the project level of replacing a bath tub, you'll also have to replace the walls/waterproofing as well, so you're already not doing a small project. If she'd actually prefer a shower only setup, this is the time to do it.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Would it be an option to build a step with a handrail for her in front of the tub?

I agree that a shower with a bench and handrails might be a good option at this time.

• beth1954
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your ideas! Much appreciated. I also think it would be a good time to just remove the tub and put in a stand up shower. Nothing fance, but just a shower. She will not be using it as a tub because she doesn't have the strength to get up and down. The tub she has is a "garden tub" in a mobile home. If you are familiar with them, they are a big pain. There is one step to go up, and then you have to step pretty far down. She has been stepping over the step to get in. She did not like the shower bench and it didn't fit well because of the sides of the tub. The tub is rectangle shape, but inside the tub it's oval. I will look into the Oceania tubs. THANKS AGAIN!!

• jb2c
    10 years ago

We're also considering a renovation of an upstairs bathroom. And I'm also looking for a low step over height tub. We never use a tub. Always shower. But the reason I want a tub and not just change over the tub to a shower is that many real estate folks recc. having at least one tub in a house. If we sell our home in the future, it could be to a family with babies or very young children. They would want a bath to bathe their kids. But they would not need a deep tub for that. Just a guess, but a 10-12" tall bathtub would probably work fine for them.

With more and more people going to showers over bathtubs, you would think the mfgs. would be offering a very low height bathtub for situations just like this. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I called Kohler/Sterling and American Standard. They do not offer anything less than a 14" height bathtub.

• Sharon Bright Haile
    8 years ago

take a look here

▶ 1:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkFVOHKhLo

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

I think that's now called the Cleancut, Sharon. Very interesting concept, but not many reviews around.

• Dianne Ostrosky
    6 years ago

Is there a tub lower then 10 inch

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Actually, the water depth (depth to overflow) in the Villager is a bit under 9 in.

Dianne, do you mean a tub wall less than that? What would be the use of such a tub? I've seen tiled sitzbaths with lower walls, but they aren't much like a tub.

• Helen
    6 years ago

If she doesn't take a bath, replace with a shower. That's what I am doing to age in place. Mine will also have a bench which is helpful as one continues to weaken. Why have any kind of a bathtub if one takes showers?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

^^ Because soaking in a hot tub is one of life's small joys.

• Helen
    6 years ago

mxk3 - The OP stated her mother doesn't use a bath tub so why have a tub when a walk in type of shower is much more functional. I hate stepping over my relatively low bath/shower combo which is why I am getting rid of the tub entirely in my remodel.

From my experience with some older people, they don't take baths because it becomes too difficult to lift themselves from the tub floor. Walk in bath tubs have seats so you don't need the agility and lower body strength to rise from what is essentially the floor.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Yes, what Helen said. The big problem with walk-in tubs is that you have to sit there being cold while the tub fills and empties. I agree that if you don't take baths it's better to go to a shower, a curbless one if you have the space to do that.

• beaniebakes
    6 years ago

Helen.. the OP posted in 2010. The more recent question by Diane Ostrosky was posted 16 hours ago and has nothing to do with her mother. It would be helpful if she clarified what she’s looking for.

• Elizabeth Haggett
    3 years ago

My husband cut the side of his mom's tub out so she can get in easier to sit on a bench and use the hand shower. The curtain covers the cutout and she gets in and out with ease. I just saw an ad for one on tv so they are out there now!