Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting bath tub to shower stall

Posted by terrijm (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 12:23

I'm iconsidering the idea of removing the tub in my elderly parent's master bathroom and having a shower stall installed. This would be for safety reasons mostly. Any suggestions on an inexpensive unit which is easy to install?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting bath tub to shower stall

The first consideration is how hard it is to access the drain lines under the floor. If your over a basement or crawlspace it won't be big deal, but if your on a slab it can get very expensive because, while a tub has an 1-1/2" drain, a shower requires a 2" trap & drain line.

o

Yes, it can be done. Lowes/HD sell shower pans that are retrofit to replace a tub (drain is on the end).

We did this in our bathroom. I put tile on the walls. I love it.

We also did this with my MIL's house, and DH used matching
fiberglass walls for her. No complaints.

o

Kohler/Sterling makes a line of shower and tub units that include safety bars on the wall panels. They can be kind of spendy, but they might be worth a look. I found one that was a special order return, and Lowes was selling it really cheap. I didn't even need the ADA bars, but it was such a deal that I bought it for our basement bath. The unit is easy to install, and the walls fit together so neatly that you don't even need caulk. It feels so clean!

o

kmcg - Good point about the safety bars.

If this for an elderly you probably should install grab bars even with a walk in shower. We did that too for my MIL.

Also, be sure to check your local codes about the drain. Some allow 1-1/2" drains as since many of us use low flow showers now it's not a problem.

I have put a rubber flat stopper over mine some times when I feel I need a foot bath. Even after washing may hair etc, it doesn't get close to overflowing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here