Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aberson

Do all your whites match?

aberson
9 years ago

I am renovating my kids bathroom. I am using white subway tile, white tub and white vanity. My tub was delivered and has a yellowish tinge - more ivory than white in my opinion. The tile is ice white. I am not sure if there is an issue with the tub (it is kohler cast iron in white) or if this is just as white as it gets. Has anyone else had this issue? Should I just accept that my whites will not all be the same?

Comments (13)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Mine do not, but I don't think any of them are too glaring of a difference.

I, personally, did not want to drive myself crazy trying to match whites; however, I know it's important to some.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Nope. ;-( Even when I thought they did on one wall, they didn't on the other wall because of light from a window v.s. light from a light bulb. Then there are all the different whites in halogen/fluorescent/LED lights. Even the same color white paint will look different depending on the sheen level.

Don't let it get to you. A colorful shampoo bottle, tissue box, rug, towel, flower in a vase will distract your brain and keep you from fixating on it.

-Babka

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

No, and I put this in the "nearly impossible" category unless you use all of one manufacturer.

Kohler makes a "white" or two and Daltile has some tile with a K- prefix, which means it matches Kohler.

I have a high discernment of hue when I take those tests where you have to order the colors on a continuum, but the slight variation of color, especially whites, doesn't bother me so much even though I can apparently see it.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Nope. I have a Kohler sink, Toto toilet, Duravit tub and Daltile Arctic White shower/tub surround that all are bright whites. They don't match, but they all look fine together. I can see a slight difference, but it doesn't matter. I also have a carrera counter with a grayer white and creamy white on the walls. I may rethink the wall color down the road, but not anytime soon.

• aberson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the input. I am driving myself crazy! If the tub has a slightly yellow hue and is against white subway tile that is cooler, will that look ok? The floor is grey.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

leeseebr, you already have the tub, right? Do you have any of the tile yet? If not, can you get some samples? The test is putting them together and deciding if you like them together or not.

• vvesper
    9 years ago

If there is any way to bring home samples and see them in the space, do it. And at different times of day. Lighting has a huge effect on how colors look together. I learned this not with trying to blend whites (and I do think it's fine to blend rather than match exactly), but in finding couch upholstery that went ok with the existing carpet. In daylight it was fine. In lamplight at night - horrible. Had to pick a different fabric. I truly was surprised how much difference there was, and I was so glad I checked in different lighting ahead of time!

I think most whites would blend together fine - but do check at home if you can, both day and night. Especially if you think it may bother you.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I tried my best to match ... nothing installed yet, so weôll see if I succeeded! I matched the white quartz counter to the freestanding tub. Pure luck the Oceanside white glass tile was a close match to the tub too. Some of my whites are matte and some glossy, so they will appear slightly different.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Even if you could somehow buy things that match exactly, the textures, angles, light and shadows in the room will make them appear different. I just had my bathroom repainted the same color it was, only I carried it up onto the ceiling as well, which had been white. The way the southern light comes in the high window above the shower, the ceiling still looks white mostly white. What are ya gonna do?

I agonized over metals: matchy-matchy vs. big misses. I matched and mixed and everything is dandy. Once everything's in place, it will look fine.

• User
    7 years ago

Thank god for this thread.

• HU-948299660
    6 months ago

I'm worrying about the same thing- we are on a time crunch to get our bathroom done. The tub looks fine with the floor tile samples we brought home, but I'm worried the shower tile is too white (also have samples) The shower tile is definitely a brighter white, but I like the color. So maybe it will all come together? When I see pictures of bathrooms, it doesn't bother me to see different whites. I actually think it looks fine and I even kind of like it- some contrast. But i'm afraid I will obsess over it once it's all installed. if i wasn't in a rush, maybe i'd bring home some other samples and see if something looked better... i don't know. I think it seems impossible to match perfectly.

• purldiver
    6 months ago

I bought my car (white) from a fellow who owns a body repair shop, and he says white is the hardest color to match by far!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022