Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

Mixing modern bathroom with traditional/eclectic older hom

elphaba_gw
11 years ago

Does anyone have opinions or suggestions with bathroom remodeling where there might be a "disconnect" between the modern style of the bathroom and the traditional style of the house?

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the bathroom forum or the "decorating and design" forum so I have done both. Apologies for anyone who might read this in both places.

Our home is a small older home, built in 1939. We are doing major remodelling in most of the house. The first phase is the hall bath. It will have a curb-less shower, floating vanities, and a wall mounted toilet - some will call it a "wet room". It is small at approx 10 ft by 7.5 ft.

For a lot of reasons, this bath will have a definite modern/contemporary style and I really don't want to change that (primarily because I don't want to spend the money for custom cabinets when I like Ikea just fine...)

But.. as far as the rest of the house which will include built in book cases in the living room and study, I seem to be clearly leaning toward maintaining a traditional/eclectic style. The house has "crown molding" in most rooms and I think I will put that in bath also if not too jarring. I don't want Ikea book cases in the living room. Probably antiques which have fairly simple trim but are still obviously older pieces of furniture will be scattered, maybe a couple pieces in each room.

So, bottom line, was wondering if there are any "guidelines" that I can use when decorating/remodelling the remainder of the house that will allow me to combine "very contemporary" with "traditional/eclectic".

Or maybe I shouldn't worry about it?

Comment (1)