Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyinva

Need advice for pedestal sink/ toilet installation

sandyinva
11 years ago

I need to replace my sink and toilet in the downstairs bath. My husband removed the sink and cabinet 2 years ago, before he died. The plan was to replace it with a pedestal sink, as the bathroom is small, and a taller toilet, which should not extend beyond 30 inches b/c of the doorway.

My questions are: Shouuld I have Lowes or Home depot install them, or is this something a certified handyman can do for less? The pipes from the sink are kind of beat up looking... if they can not adequately be concealed by the pedestal, can they be easily replaced?

Comments (7)

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

If you are converting from a vanity or wall mount sink to a pedestal sink, you will likely need to move the pipes. Pedestal sinks are quite particular about where their pipes are located.

I would have a plumber do the work. Not a handyman. It might cost more but it might not. A plumber can probably do the job faster than a handyman and since both bill by the hour ... You might come out even.

• ShellKing
    11 years ago

Get recommendations and then meet with 2 or 3 plumbers to discuss the job. Before you begin the work, have them put in writing what they will do and how much it will cost.

If you know what pedestal or sink faucet you want -- have that information for the plumber. If you are open to ideas depending on the cost (pedestal vs cabinet) then the plumber could tell you about your options.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. That is wonderful that you are continuing on with the project you shared with your husband.

Exactly what EngineerChic and ShellKing said. I would find a certified, licensed, insured plumber with experience and good reviews rather than a handyman. I've done some DIY including switching from a standard vanity and toilet to a new ADA height toilet and pedestal sink. I moved the plumbing and also installed bracing behind the wall to support the weight of the sink (the pedestal does not actually support the sink FYI). Pedestal sink installation was more difficult than when I replaced a sink cabinet with another sink cabinet. You want to make certain you have functioning shutoffs and want the pipes to be properly hidden and draining properly. A good plumber should be able to do these things quickly and correctly.

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so very much :>) There are a number of unfinished projects here.(sigh) I do have a good plumber with good reviews for price and quality of work through a local consumer group and will contact him after I purchase toilet and sink. Or is that something that I should have him order?

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

sandyinva: "I do have a good plumber with good reviews for price and quality of work through a local consumer group and will contact him after I purchase toilet and sink. Or is that something that I should have him order?"

Definitely, if he is reliable and trusted, get the plumber in on the decision as to which toilet and sink to purchase. Lowe's and Home Depot do not carry all of the brands and lines that plumbing supply houses to which your plumber has access carry, and some brands -- like Toto -- are not sold at all in any big box store. It is also possible that the plumber will be able to secure you a discount on some models.

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, I will contact him. I am sure it will be a simpler process than doing it through Lowes and Home Depot. He also can look at the existing pipes, see what needs to be changed, and make recommendations for sinks.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you have a good plumber. Personally, I would do some research to see what you want with a pedestal sink: style, size, etc. I chose to install a Toto toilet and sink because I wanted a very simple sink with straight lines. Take a look at what you can find on the manufacturer's sites like Kohler, Toto, etc. Then take your ideas to the plumber and find out what he would suggest. I ordered my sink online for a very reasonable price.