Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calgary1981

New Tiles in Master Bathroom

Calgary1981
9 years ago

Hello!

I am looking for some advice!

Recently, we had some water damage and we were forced to remove the tiles in our shower and the floor. We have a pretty spacious master bathroom, and I am having trouble deciding on tile combinations to replace with.

I am not very good at this stuff, so please bare with me if I don't provide enough details :)

-The wall colors are a very light taupe/grey...it really depends on what is put up next to it.

-Our original bathroom had a brown 1x6 tiled shower (with glass doors) and the floor was a multi-colored tiled

-Our vanity is a dark granite with dark wood. Very earthy, rich colors all around.

I would like to stick to the same dark/earthy tones because I think they suit the room well. But my question is, what about doing one type of tile all over the floor and to the shower? Or would you do a different color shower and a different color floor? Any ideas would be helpful!

I think I attached the tile that we are interested in. It is kind of hard to see so here it the link to the page

http://www.eurotile.ca/site/web/seriesspec.asp?id=MzYxM0NaVUVaMTI0NzE=&app=FLOOR

Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• MissBuggus
    9 years ago

The first thing that I would need to know is what is your style? Are you more modern or traditional in your tastes?

• Calgary1981
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would probably say Modern...?

I like things clean and simple and easy and inviting...if that makes sense :)

• MissBuggus
    9 years ago

Yes, it makes sense. If you tile the floor and the shower floor in the same tile you will make the room appear even larger and more spacious than it already is. But you run the risk of too much sameness. It really is a matter of figuring out why you want to do something different. Is it because you just want a change? Or, is it because there is something about the old design that isn't working for you?

The possibilities are limitless but that is what makes it challenging.

Of course, you have probably checked Houzz.com for ideas by now. They have a lot of pictures of modern bathrooms that might give you great ideas.

• MissBuggus
    9 years ago

Some thoughts on things you can do to create visual interest without incorporating too many new elements.

1. Consider a contrasting value for your grout to give the whole floor a pattern.

2. Keep the shower floor the same as the rest of the floor but offset your shower fixtures with a rectangle of smaller more colorful or textured decorative tiles.

3. Introduce a pattern to your tile arrangement on the shower floor, for example, go from square to diamond.

4. Use the same color on both the shower floor and main floor but introduce some smaller tiles of the same color to the shower floor.

• Calgary1981
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Miss Buggus!

Unfortunately, we had to change it because we had water damage in our master bathroom and mold underneath the tiles and behind the shower so really it is a renovation that is forced on us! So trying to make the best of it :)

I was thinking about adding a mosaic in the shower within the cubby that we are going to build (it will be rectangle horizontally) and having a line of it go down where the new shower fixture will be.

I am just worried about the same colour tile through the whole washroom...I see lots that look great but not sure if it is better to do two different colours? or what the trends are? I just wanted to get some guidance as I am clueless and every store I go into offers a different set of ideas/advice!

• MissBuggus
    9 years ago

It is really overwhelming, I agree. I am redoing a bathroom now too and the choices are endless. It's kind of hard to settle down on one thing. Everything looks so beautiful. But I have finally set my course.

I am keeping my shower and floor the same color because I have a stained glass window that I just found at an antique dealer that will become the room's focal point. I am having it built in to the wall over the clawfoot tub. I also have a black vanity with hand painted antique gold designs on the far end of the room. The room is going to be black and white -- mostly white with tiny black accent diamonds in the floor. My plan is to let the natural light bring in soft color through the stained glass window over the bathtub.

My other lighting will be from antique brass fixtures. Walls will be wainscoted (white paint) half way up with a very pale blue/green wall color.

I have been designing this in my head for years. Now it is finally happening!

• MissBuggus
    9 years ago

As far as getting advice from other people, I always find that you'll get lots of conflicting opinions but that can actually be a good thing. You will find after you listen long enough to what everyone else thinks that you actually begin to form your own pretty strong ideas. Then you can start to sort out what you liked and what you didn't like about the ideas you heard. Before you know it you will actually know exactly what you want to do.

I know that may not answer your question but I hope it helps in some way.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

It is hard. If you have dark cabinets and granite, would you consider going with a slightly lighter floor and take that tile into the shower floor? Then go lighter with the shower walls and incorporate the darker tile again into the mosaic in the back of the niche/cubby, or even use a border tile near the top. Glass tiles would be pretty and modern too in your cubby or in the border.