Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Toilet seats (nothing fancy...)

Tmnca
10 years ago

It's time to replace the seats on our 3 toilets. Current seats are Bemis wood with nickel hinges. I like the look and feel of them and they have been secure, but they came with the house and are discolored underneath from cleaning products (ick).

I may just replace with the same type but I thought I should ask the bathroom forum - is there a better product in the price range (around $25/seat)? I'm looking at the "KOHLER Triko Molded Toilet Seat" which has all 4 and 5 star reviews whereas Bemis has 2-3 stars.

This post was edited by tinan on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 11:37

Comments (8)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I don't know if one is better than another, I found reviews all over the board. Maybe someone else knows?

I'd definitely look at soft close with easy off seats. That narrows things quite a bit. No slamming lids, and so much easier to clean!

I also wanted enameled wood, which pushed me over your price limit. I don't know that it's any better or worse than plastic, but I got is stuck in my head that I wanted it. Finding those three things together was a little harder.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My current ones are molded wood and I do prefer that to plastic even if they are more likely to discolor. I use steam and very dilute bleach only to clean so I don't think I will have the problem.

The only easy close ones I have seen are plastic, the molded wood are heavy but I do like the solid feel.

I definitely don't want to pay over $50/seat with 3 of them to replace.

• Seasyde
    10 years ago

I also have the Bemis, wooden, with nickel hinges and the soft close. I bought it for the hinges, but love the soft close! I paid about $30 at Home Depot last September.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

I concur with soft close. Once we changed one within a month we changed them all and never looked back. No slamming lids in the middle of the night. :)

Word of caution - if you go soft close and have more than one you might want to change them all so you don't accidentally just let go of the non-soft close lid. We found that to be an issue.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I put this on our new Vespin, works great so far. Wood, soft close, easy off, $35. There's also a Mayfair model that has a different style lid, but still wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood seat

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I want to replace all 3 seats at once, they are all stained and look gross underneath even though clean. Soft close sounds attractive, though fortunately neither of us tend to get up in the middle of the night. I like the metal hinges and molded wood. I will check out these ones - the Bemis soft close is $50 each but probably worth it for the extra features of easy clean and soft close. Ours are round.

This post was edited by tinan on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 20:39

• Seasyde
    10 years ago

It is very easy to get used to the soft close.

We recently spent the night at some friends' home. Accidentally let the toilet seat slam down. No damage done, but it reminded me to be more careful of that sort of that thing.

• dljsj
    6 years ago

We are trying to replace the toilet seats & lids on 30 year old Kohler toilets. Our current lid is basically round. We are having trouble locating a large enough size. Any suggestions?