Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy With Shower Dimensions?

Posted by ntrainer (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 11:24

We're about to embark on a major redesign of our master suite, and in order to solve a number of problems, we're shrinking our shower. Currently it's a 2-person shower and I don't mind that we'll be reducing it to a 1-person shower but... just want to make sure the dimensions will work. The inside dimensions (as proposed) will be 3' x 4'2", or 36" x 50". There will be a corner ledge for leg shaving, and two niches along the wall furthest from the shower head (for shampoo bottles & soap). To make the room feel more spacious, generally, there will be a clerestory window on that same wall with the niches, up high. In addition, the shower head will be mounted on glass, hiding the plumbing in a 1/2 wall below. Frameless shower. So that's a total of 1-1/2 walls of glass surrounding the shower.

What do you folks think? Will we be happy with this? Or are we going too small?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy With Shower Dimensions?

I think you will be perfectly fine. Our master bathroom is extreamly tiny (7' x 7.5') and believe it or not we expanded our shower to ~36" x 45" frameless glass shower (was previously a tiny 32x32 shower enclosure).

We did full glass and a large recessed niche...which really opens up the space. We love it!

I really don't see 36" x 50" being an issue unless you are abnormally tall or big people :-)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0318035216653.html

o

Thanks for sharing the photos of your remodel. It does look beautiful. Good to know you love it so much. Sometimes photos can be deceiving, but it seems like the experience you've had with a shower this size is excellent... That's great news for us.

As for our heights, no giants here. I'm 5'5", the hubby is 6'1".

o

We're very pleased with 3' x 4'. 5.5 and 6 feet tall. The hot water warms it up quickly, and there is plenty of room to move around w/o bumping into walls. Put a ceiling light over it to keep it light and bright and enjoy.

-Babka

o

I have a 3x5' Kohler cast iron shower pan and could have easily went with 3x4' in hind site. My shower is in an alcove with only a glass door front. There is plenty of light through the door and I have a ceiling light in the shower with my exhaust fan. Even if I had gone with 3x4' there would have been plenty of light. Like Babka suggest put a light in the shower. The shower still needs the rail to mount the handheld, and the grab bar under the nook installed.

I have to point out that I did the tile job myself and you can see the lipage I have with those large tiles. If you are DIYing the tile, this may be a problem if you use large tiles. I was able to get them very level and the walls plumb but I could not prevent the lipage :/
Shower head and doors photo photo2-15_zpsfaaed48d.jpg
Shower and doors photo photo1-15_zps3cdf92dd.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here