Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jj_upstateny

is there a better motor for my Nutone exhaust fan?

jj_upstateny
11 years ago

I have an old Nutone exhaust fan/light in my bathroom, and the fan is dying. As it has a 13" round cutout, that limits my replacement if I don't want to patch the drywall (I'm not especially handy and have not done this before). My problem: The Nutone replacement that would fit, Nutone 8663RP, has *awful* reviews just about everywhere.

Nutone says that the motor is part number 0434A000 and the blower wheel is part number 5901A000. I don't think I can post a link here due to forum rules but the specs are widely available. Are there other companies that would make a standard assembly that would work? I want a reasonably quiet fan that works well. I'd love a panasonic motor. Amazon advertises a Packard motor -- not sure what they are like. Is there a web site that has good customer service and might be able to point me to a brand that makes a motor with specs that would work?

If I can't find anything, then I am going to have to figure out how to remove old fan, patch drywall, and install new fan in the joists from below (attic is not accessible).

Thank you all!!

Signed,

Frazzled Newbie

Comments (4)

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

I suggest you google what you are looking for and see if you can find an internet site for consumers that has a help line or help email.

Then email them your question, state you would prefer a better and possibly more expensive fan if it could be retrofitted without patching required.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

would this replacement work? It has a 15" square grill - would cover the 13" completely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic fan

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Go to Home Depot or Lowes. They have replacement motors/grills sets for Nutone and Braun fans that are much quieter, and it will cost you about $29. I just replaced mine with my remodel because I couldn't find a wall fan housing with a shallow enough box and a small enough duct. I ended up just replacing my old one with a new one.

• Justin G
    6 years ago

Did you ever get an answer to this?