Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grout help

Posted by musicteacher (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 11:14

I have been shopping for new bathroom floor tile and find that I like what I have better than what is in the store. The problem is not the tile, but the grout which is wide and discolored here and there. I wish the grout lines were thinner but I can live with if I could clean the grout up and seal it The grout is darkish grey and has a few white spots on it but won't scrub out. At least not with scrubbing bubbles and a brush. Obviously the last step would be to seal it, but what are my options now? Chisel it out and re-do, file down the few spots and patch with grout (I still have the original grout, but it might not match the been-there-for-a-while grout) "paint it" with grout colorant? My hubby would be so happy if we didn't have to pay for new tile too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grout help

If you were to regrout or patch, don't use your leftover grout. It only has a certain shelf life so your results (durability and color matching) would most likely disappoint.

A recommendation that many have had excellent results with would be to use a colorant like Aquamix Grout Colorant.

You clean the grout with Aquamix's grout cleaner. Then apply the colorant. It's epoxy-based, so it will be a film-type of colorant over your existing grout. Not a penetrating-type of sealer.

It does work very well for recoloring problematic grout, and being epoxy, it's an excellent sealer as well.

If you want to remove the existing grout, I don't chisel it out. I use a diamond bit either in a dremel-type of tool, or in a multimaster-type of tool. Depends on the situation. You want to remove the exiting grout at least as deep as the grout joint is wide.

Vacuum/clean it out well. Then regrout.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here