Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxgmom3

Wood tub surround?

mxgmom3
15 years ago

Designer is suggesting a wood veneer type tub surround. Top surface would be stone but side would be this wood. Insists it is water resistent and will not be a problem. Anyone seen this / done this?

Comments (8)

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

"Wood veneer". Don't use anything with an MDF core.

I've built several wood surrounds for tubs. Some have been painted wood, others stained. Never had a problem.

I've even done a couple of wood tub decks. Usually teak. Never had a problem with those either.

It's quite easy to disguise access panels (if needed for plumbing or motor access) into a wood apron, too.

Mongo

• justmeinsd
    15 years ago

We had one in our last house and will do the same in our new house. We used cabinet doors over a veneer and it looked great. I am not sure i would do it in a kids area but didn't have any problem in the master bath.

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

I think weedyacres posted a pic of a gorgeous stained wood tub surround that they DIY'd.

Mongo

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I'm taking a brave route (due to Omega's guarantee) and doing a wood surround on our son's tub/shower combo. The tub is tiled but the wall around it will be a couple of wood panels (allowing access to the controls) and fluted collums. I worried about the front panel because it's a highly detailed wood door (matching the vanities) that sticks out about 1 3/4". Omega guarantees even if i'm lazy as sin and don't wipe it down after baths, it will be fine. We'll see :) (I'm lazy as sin and have the housekeeper do that only weekly...but I might do better if properly motivated).

• mxgmom3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all.
    Igloochic - Are you getting your vanity from Omega, also? The design sounds like something you'll enjoy long after your son is finished. This bath/shower combo will be used by 3 boys, so I might want to look into that omega guarantee too!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Yes mx :) The vanity is Omega as well. I fell in love with a totally inappropriate door style (we always fall for the bad boys don't we?) and figured out a way to use it by putting it in the family bathroom. A reasonable person would choose less carving, less distressing, and less cost LOL but I just HAD to have this stupid door...and now it's not only doors, but a tub surround. I had a long talk with the Omega dealer and their headquarters about two year olds and splashing :) And they said they guarantee that the finish won't be hurt...and if they're wrong...they've put it in writing, I get a new tub surround :)

Omega cabinets aren't cheap, but they're known for their finish quality, so we'll hope this all works :oP

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

Here's ours, made from plywood and trim in the same finish as our vanity. It doesn't get much water exposure, except an occasional few drops or splatter, which I wipe off with a towel.

• Rae8
    10 years ago

I have a question. I am building a tub surround from wood and have been looking around at the various cabinet makers.
    One of those companies told me I should use MDF on the center panel with hardwood frame because of the wood expanding and contracting with steam and wet environment.

However I see where other places just recommend that you use HARD wood species and that you seal it well. Those sites said nothing about MDF - just to stay away from MDF (for use with all of it - not just center as I'm talking about)

So now am not sure if I should get the all hard wood including center panels or allow the center MDF . The doors I'm looking at have an applied molding with recessed center panel. (To match my vanity)

Another question I have is whether I should absolutely paint it rather than stain it or does it matter if I stain it if I am applying polyurethane or other recommended finish coats?