Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Mirror Resources Needed

Posted by sivyaleah (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 10:40

I've been having a heck of a time finding a mirror for over my powder room pedestal sink.

The problem is that the sink is quite small. The room is somewhat narrow so we had to purchase the smallest sink available; I believe it's a 19". Finding a mirror to fit has been difficult, made more problematic by the fact that the wall also has a tiny 5" wide floor to ceiling "alcove" to the right of the sink, on the opposite wall, which was due to an existing condition when we reconfigured the room entrance from the kitchen to off the dining room in the butler's pantry. The "alcove" will eventually have shelves built into it to house necessities (the room has no space of storage otherwise).

Anyway, because of this, even a 19" mirror is too large; it will overhang into that space. The mirror is more for effect; it's not for storage by any means and while I'd like it to look nice I also don't want to spend a fortune on it.

I've tired just about everywhere I can think of including Pier 1, Target, BJ's, etc. I've looked in every department, bathroom, office, general home, you get the picture. I'm open to different styles, even though the house is nearly 100 years old, since the room isn't finished yet - I can go anyway at this point, even though the fixtures are sort of traditional.

Any ideas or sources that you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Mirror Resources Needed

Go to a local glass shop they can sell you a cut mirror made to your required sizing.

o

Wow. That never occurred to me!

o

I was going to suggest framing up 3 12" mirrored tiles to make a tall, narrow "window" which will look rustic for a 100 yr old house and yet be a mirror for over the sink.

o

used furniture stores, antique stores, HFH - Goodwill! I got a great little one in grn and purple at the GW - my colors! It's too small for my sink/vanity so I'm not sure what I'll do with it but it was maybe 2.00.

o

I also looked into getting a glass shop make a mirror for me because our guest bath needed something that was no bigger than 18". I ended up with the pivot Restoration Hardware mirror because it is about 18", but I had looked into getting our woodwork/carpentry people make a nice crown molding frame. The carpenters did make a nice narrow mirror for our mudroom so it can definitely be done exactly how you would want it. I also had some luck at antique stores, so I think thats another great place to find smaller mirrors etc. BTW-I also bought a few mirrors from RH baby and child, i thought they were nice mirrors that did not have to necessarily be in a kids space!
Good Luck!

o

Restoration, is way out of my budget unfortunately; although I'll keep my eyes on their sales. You never know.

I think the idea of hitting up Goodwill and those types of places may be a good idea. I should put a small tape measure in my bag just in case :)

Thanks for all the suggestions - everyone gave me a lot to think about, many of which I never considered so it opened my mind up to other possibilities.

o

Have you looked online at Bellacor? I considered the mirror linked below, but decided on another one in the end. You can't search by size, but you can search by price. The good news is the smaller sizes are the cheapest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor Mirror

o

Thanks Decolisa! I never heard of Bellacor. That one may just be perfect!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here