Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice: Replacing tile grout (shower)

Posted by Gerehan (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 10:31

Hi folks,

Forgive my ignorance, but I am attempting to replace some of the tile grout in my shower for the first time. Have come to this forum for most of my home improvement advice, hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction....

The grout in need of replacement is where the tile meets the shower basin (see photos). The original shower had what looked like standard grout (similiar in appearance to the other tile grout throughout the shower) but has recently discolored and is beginning to decompose. This grout is approximately 1/2 inch wide in places, and under steady water exposure.

My questions are:
Several friends have suggested using chaulking - is this an option for this application?
Is it best to replace existing grout with regular sanded or an epoxy grout?
Is it best to avoid pre-mixed grout?

Any other suggestions or advice would be immensely appreciated! As always, thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice: Replacing tile grout (shower)

We had this same thing in our shower. You just need to remove and replace the caulk, not the grout. There is a bead of caulk where the tile meets the shower pan to keep water out of the seam. The caulk develops mold or mildew over time and needs to be replaced. If you use 100% silicone caulk (not "siliconized" caulk), you shouldn't have this problem. However, silicone is harder to work with than latex caulk. I've had success using windex on my finger when smoothing the caulk instead of water. See attached link for some instructions. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: how to replace caulk

o

Definitely use caulk and not grout. Generally caulk is used where tiles meet tub and also the tile wall corners. Definitely read up on how to caulk otherwise you will make a big mess. Your shower will look fantastic with new caulk.

o

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions - this really helps!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here