Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alilmuse

Baseboard with tiled wall and floor?

alilmuse
11 years ago

I've noticed pictures where people have not put down baseboard when they have tiled their floor and walls. I was wondering if this poses any problems? I'm doing a bathroom with 12 x 12 white tiles on the floor and white 3 x 6 subway tiles on the walls up to 4 feet. I'm bordering the tiles with black and doing the shower surround as well. I was planning on using leftover beadboard baseboard around the bottom, but have noticed pictures with out baseboard. Would very much welcome opinions, suggestions. (was even thinking about paint the baseboard black to break up the white. Any opinions please?

Comments (12)

• tim45z10
    11 years ago

I tiled my wall with the 4x4 white tiles and the floor with 12x12 gray tiles. I also put in basebord. It looks fine. I used white kit/bath adhesive to bond it and also along the top edge. When I redo the bath in the future, I will upgrade the wall and floor tile and will not baseboard it.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Have you thought about using a cove tile?
    {{gwi:1457243}}

• alilmuse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have 16' of baseboard left over from when we installed beadboard in our Master Bathroom. I have three choice. We used 12 x 12 white tiles on the bathroom floor and are putting 6 x 3 white subway tiles on the walls with black tile on top for finishing.
    1. Cut the 12 x 12 smaller and use them as baseboard
    2. No baseboard and just start tiling with 6 x 3 tiles
    3. Paint the beadboard baseboard either white or black
    and them continue to tile with 6 x 3 tiles. (does
    anyone like the idea of a black baseboard with this?

The Vanitity is white beadboard look with black granit top.

• kathy0288
    4 years ago

Ceramic tile baseboards adds a very nice finishing touch.it makes the rest of the job really pop.although it can be expensive.i am finishing a bathroom and have tile wainscott with a ceramic Edwardian cap or chair rail.the baseboard really sets it off.it also hides any imperfections along the floor.if you have slight variations at the floor joints the grout lines won’t look at all good.they actually enhance any variation and the baseboards cover that.it makes a tile job look much better.i recommend it.

• Nancy in Mich
    4 years ago

If you are going to tile the walls and the floor, you should tile the baseboard. My floor tile is too busy to go with the marble baseboard because I was too tired of floor shopping and did not see a big enough piece of the mosaic floor tile, but I like it okay.

Here is the half bath with newly tiled floor and baseboard without tile on the wall. I love the black and white look.

• HU-902185203
    3 years ago

I like it with two colour! I was just asking if I should do that with mine and why would anyone think it looks good as baseboards well definitely not in my case very old light blue small ceramic tiles, I’m gonna go gray with black baseboards well I could change my mind though and go all black

• A Gauthier
    3 years ago

If wall tile meets floor tile, functionally you dont need a baseboard. If you dont have wall tiles, in a bathroom, i would fashion a tile baseboard (long pieces of tile capped with schluter jolly trim color of your choice)

• HU-902185203
    3 years ago

Yes I’d agree with that but not in this case the tiles that are on the floor are put as baseboards so if I pull them off it’ll only give me work and a mess! and it needs to be painted soon there is nothing blue in my bathroom but these tiles another colour will look great so paint it is lol

• HU-902185203
    3 years ago

• HU-902185203
    3 years ago

And it will look so much cleaner what as mess they did, but I’ll put my own spin on it 😊

• A Gauthier
    3 years ago

I once had tile like that. My guy tiled over it with marble hexagon. Looks excellent and is a cheaper option than full demo job. A lot of guys will tell you “it cant be done”...so they can money grab