Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceezeecz

Masterbath makeover too bland?

ceezeecz
10 years ago

As you can see this is a pretty small bathroom. Right now it is actually in two sections: a vanity area with a sink on one side, a linen closet, and no door to the master bedroom; then a wall with a door that leads to the shower/toilet/sink area. We're taking down that wall, removing the vanity sink, enlarging the shower, and putting in a double vanity. The linen tower shown in the layout is a freestanding piece.

Here's what I've selected so far:

floor tile - American Olean Avenue One 12x12 in Sidewalk

shower wall tile - Daltile Modern Dimension 4x12 in Arctic White

Shower floor tile - Renaissace Novona 2x2

Vanity - 60" Bertch Osage in Brindle

Sinks (2) - Ronbow rectangular undermount

Sink faucets (2) - Moen Voss

Medicine Cabinets (2) - Robern beveled mirror

Sconces (3) - still looking, some kind of George Kovacs

Shower door - Kohler Fluence

Vanity countertop - Navona Travertine

Shower faucets - Hansgrohe showerhead and handheld

Accessories (towel bars, etc.) - maybe Smedbo HOME

Linen Tower - Wyndham Collection Abingdon Linen Tower in White from Overstock

... and a pocket door instead of what shows in the layout.

I am trying for a calming, serene, timeless look. Something I can dress up with towels and artwork.

But is this going to look too blah? Should I put in some accent tiles? Maybe in the shower? If so, any suggestions - glass, chrome?

Comments (18)

• sas95
    10 years ago

It would be helpful if you could post pictures of your choices rather than expecting that people look them up.

I have a Bertch Osage vanity and really like it, by the way.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great point! Sorry about that. Honestly, after seeing all my selections in one album in Photobucket, I can see I probably do need to add something.

This tile will be Arctic White, not the color shown.

This in chrome

Bathroom floor
    href="http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/CeeZeezz/media/AO_AU02_12X12_Sidewalk_zps9720a69d.jpg.html"; target="_blank">

Shower Floor and inside a shower niche

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forgot the sink.

I was planning on painting the walls in a soft pale warm gray/green. I'm hanging a black and white photo and japanese woodblock print.

But everything is basically warm tones with chrome and white.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Lovely choices! Have you used the materials painter feature to color the objects in your plan yet? See how it looks in 3D with your colors. For me, I'd prefer some more dark mixed in to make it feel more grounded. I seem to like that. Maybe some darker, brown tiles as a border, or "tile rug" or mixed in on the floor and in the shower. But I have a hard time pasting that all together in my head. That's why I love Room Planner!

My bath is also neutral, so I can understand where you are coming from!

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last photo! The countertop

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

It helps that the vanity is stained wood and not painted white or cream. If you like your choices there are other ways to add some color with towels, art, etc. That might be the way to go if you ever plan to sell the house.

Painting the walls is another low cost option and you can always change it.

Accent tiles might work in the shower but it helps to also have them somewhere else in the room..around a tub, backsplash, etc. I love the glass mosaics, myself and some of them are very serene with pale greys, greens and blues.

• sas95
    10 years ago

I think your choices work well together.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think it really helps that the vanity is fairly dark but still warm. I actually started the whole process with the floor tile which looks a little like concrete. I love textures in general. Next came the beautiful vanity. I then found the tiles. And I thought that shiny chrome would add a little bling.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the photo I'll probably use:

And here's the Japanese woodblock that I will definitely use:

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Huge thanks to everyone! Everything pretty much figured out. I've decided not to put in any accent tiles and keep it simple.

Final accessories selected today are Motiv Frame

Also decided on Shower Faucets. They're a combination of Grohe and Hansgrohe components. Chrome, of course.

I think I'm in good shape! Longest lead time will be the vanity (4 weeks, I'm told). Work will start the beginning of September, due to a 2 week vacation we have planned during the middle-end of August getting in the way.

The biggest issue will be that until demolition is done, we won't know the dimensions of the shower. But apparently the shower door is quick to arrive when ordered. Shower tile quantities depend on the results of the demo too.

• selphydeg
    10 years ago

I think its going to be beautiful. You will not regret a room being light and airy. If you want a splash of color, you can always add flowers, towels, and other decors.

• LE
    10 years ago

I like it! Looking forward to seeing the results as we are planning something similar, but our house is just now being framed. Appreciate the link to the Motiv fixtures-- (just when I think I've seen them all)!

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll definitly post some before and after photos when it's completed.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

Sounds like you have made up your mind but I can't help offering my opinion that I think you have made great choices. I like that it is mostly light - gives a "spa" type feel.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Think I'll also go for a neutral paint for the walls, too. I was originally thinking of a pale blue or green but now I'm leaning to this from Benjamin Moore - Frappe. Probably looks a lot darker on the monitor than in actuality.

I want one the the paler tones in the travertine.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This image looks closer to my sample.

• laurajane02
    10 years ago

Have you tried your floor tile and counter choices next to each other? To my untrained eye, it looks like you may have chosen a yellow beige counter and a pink beige floor. Generally, that combo is avoided because the yellow beige can make the pink beige look dirty.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I did and the floor is not pink at all. That's the monitor changing the colors.

The color of the floor tile is in the travertine countertop. It all works.