Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to locate a plumber experienced with 1950's plumbing?

Posted by Janeway452 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 9:20

I've actually located a source for replacement faucets for my 1950's Shelf Back sink. I'm having difficulty removing the faucet caps despite how easy the Bathroom Machineries video for replacing the faucets for this sink. Yes, they actually have a video! I think my best bet is to try to find an old plumber who is experienced in mid-century American Standard plumbing or one who is wise to older plumbing. Has anyone gone this route and how did you find one? Was it a good idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to locate a plumber experienced with 1950's plumbing?

Plumbers working in the 1950s would be in their 70s or eighties by now and probably retired. I think one would be hard to find.

I think any competent contemporary plumber would be able to handle this job. Especially if you live in a city, most plumbers are used to working on old and newer plumbing.

o

I'm with jerzeegirl on this one. In this city, a major portion of the housing stock is infinitely older than the 1950's with much original plumbing to boot. My house is mid 30's and a good local plumber had zero problems with the issue(s) I had a couple of months ago.

o

Thanks! You are right jerzeegirl and duluth. Can you imagine some really old geezer still working? Monday I'll just get on the phone and mention that this is old original plumbing and listen for the right response. I'm encouraged.

o

Maybe you can contact the makers of the video and ask if they happen to know anyone in your area.

o

We just popped the caps off a 1936 Shelfback - They screw off. There's not much of a lip on them but you can do it with a pair of pliers. Hit them with some CLR first in case there is lime scale.

Good luck!

Always ;-)
Hunzi

o

I've tried CLR, straight white vinegar and WD 40. I've tried adjustable wrench, pliers and channel locks. I don't have a strap wrench, but I suspect it won't work either. Maybe I just don't have the right tool. They just won't budge. Hunzi, as you know they are very thin and there's not much to grab onto. The photo shows how thin (and why the faucets need to be replaced!). They only thing I haven't tried is heat. I'm so happy you were able to get yours off. After that initial hurtle how did they rest of the job go? How do the new faucets look?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here